Egg bound

Look around and make sure that no feed has gotten moldy.

How hot is it where you are? Make sure she's drinking.
Not moldy, weird. I found her after her soak. She was perfectly fine, ran fine and acted fine. Their feed is not moldy either…we are getting cooler temperatures now 60-70 degrees, but later this week it will go up to the 90s

Not moldy, weird. I found her after her soak. She was perfectly fine, ran fine and acted fine. Their feed is not moldy either…we are getting cooler temperatures now 60-70 degrees, but later this week it will go up to the 90s
I let her free range out side of the chicken pen…I found her just under a mower! She was just resting. I suspect she was trying to lay an egg. I lifted the tarp we used to cover the mower and she ran out and acted perfectly normal. Ate, drank a LOT, despite ignoring my water container earlier.

Could be not enough padding, but you want those sores to heal up. Even with more padding, she's still putting pressure on them when she's laying down all the time. She needs to be more upright/off those areas in order for them to heal.

The joints are swollen and this is likely one reason why she's having difficulty getting around.
You may need to get her on an antibiotic to help promote healing. Amoxicillin would be something you can use.
Could she be hiding her sickness??

I let her free range out side of the chicken pen…I found her just under a mower! She was just resting. I suspect she was trying to lay an egg. I lifted the tarp we used to cover the mower and she ran out and acted perfectly normal. Ate, drank a LOT, despite ignoring my water container earlier.

Could she be hiding her sickness??
Sounds like she was just taking a break on her own somewhere and you startled her.

As for your hen that with the leg problems, the vent, etc. (original hen we are talking about). Yes, I do believe she's likely hiding some of her illness. Chickens are good at that. I 've had hens with reproductive issues and they try to continue on and act "normal" until they can't.
With her getting sores on the back of her legs like that, she's been immobile for a good while. I fear the joints will become infected, they are swollen and look red/inflamed.

Sometimes when they don't feel well and they lay down a lot, this can allow other conditions to "take over" like those maggots (she wasn't preening, cleaning/dust bathing), the leg problems (sores) can be result of her not feeling well enough to move about. Then even if she starts to feel a little better, then her joints hurt because they have sores and are swollen...this in turn makes her lay down a lot. Like a vicious cycle.

I don't know if a sling will help, but it's worth a try.

Sounds like she was just taking a break on her own somewhere and you startled her.

As for your hen that with the leg problems, the vent, etc. (original hen we are talking about). Yes, I do believe she's likely hiding some of her illness. Chickens are good at that. I 've had hens with reproductive issues and they try to continue on and act "normal" until they can't.
With her getting sores on the back of her legs like that, she's been immobile for a good while. I fear the joints will become infected, they are swollen and look red/inflamed.

Sometimes when they don't feel well and they lay down a lot, this can allow other conditions to "take over" like those maggots (she wasn't preening, cleaning/dust bathing), the leg problems (sores) can be result of her not feeling well enough to move about. Then even if she starts to feel a little better, then her joints hurt because they have sores and are swollen...this in turn makes her lay down a lot. Like a vicious cycle.

I don't know if a sling will help, but it's worth a try.
It worked! The sling worked! It keeps her up, however if I try to feed her, she just keeps trying to escape. I used an old bag to make it and it has another pad on it for more comfort. She is sleeping a lot, but still eats.

Also on the other hen…she looked a bit oddd today morning again. It just looks like she tucked her head in and was just standing there. She does move around and all, but she is still legthargic. Could it be worms?

Attachments

• 393B8836-FF6F-4383-AD4A-71A99FE2272D.jpeg
    393B8836-FF6F-4383-AD4A-71A99FE2272D.jpeg
    579.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 87C5C4E9-FF23-47C6-AF50-9A99353AE400.jpeg
    87C5C4E9-FF23-47C6-AF50-9A99353AE400.jpeg
    439.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 81586C4A-BB65-4760-B2D8-22E281564A25.jpeg
    81586C4A-BB65-4760-B2D8-22E281564A25.jpeg
    516.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 315D0543-C37B-4973-96C4-1496D8A0B58E.jpeg
    315D0543-C37B-4973-96C4-1496D8A0B58E.jpeg
    447.7 KB · Views: 4
It worked! The sling worked! It keeps her up, however if I try to feed her, she just keeps trying to escape.
Likely the sling is pressing on her crop so it's difficult to eat that way. You may need to take her out of the sling to feed her. Encourage her to stand on her own and get her to walk as much as you can too.
Give her breaks, so she's not in the sling all the time.

I'm not sure what's going on with the other hen. She may be having some reproductive issues too. Sometimes it ends up that way. De-worming her likely won't hurt.

Likely the sling is pressing on her crop so it's difficult to eat that way. You may need to take her out of the sling to feed her. Encourage her to stand on her own and get her to walk as much as you can too.
Give her breaks, so she's not in the sling all the time.

I'm not sure what's going on with the other hen. She may be having some reproductive issues too. Sometimes it ends up that way. De-worming her likely won't hurt.
:( she can’t walk anymore. I took her out and her joints were way to damaged. I am hoping the sling will help her to recover. Is it common for chickens to get reproductive issues at 1 year? And 2 years? I thought EEs were known to live long.. :( Could it be caused by something I do?

:( she can’t walk anymore. I took her out and her joints were way to damaged. I am hoping the sling will help her to recover. Is it common for chickens to get reproductive issues at 1 year? And 2 years? I thought EEs were known to live long.. :( Could it be caused by something I do?
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that :(

Yes, it's common for laying hens to have reproductive issues - it can happen at any age really.
If she's unable to walk now, then it may be time to consider putting her out of her misery. I know you care deeply about her, but she's been through a lot. It's up to you of course.

The only way to really know what's been going on with her is to have a necropsy if she dies. Having a professional one done by your state lab is going to give you the best information. You are in CA, so UC Davis is your lab. I'm not sure how much it costs but you can call an ask. Alternatively, you can do your own and see if you find anything obvious. Sometimes a hen may have other issues like Fatty Liver Disease, a heart condition or ??? You may find something or you may not.
I don't think you caused this...I don't see how:hugs

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that :(

Yes, it's common for laying hens to have reproductive issues - it can happen at any age really.
If she's unable to walk now, then it may be time to consider putting her out of her misery. I know you care deeply about her, but she's been through a lot. It's up to you of course.

The only way to really know what's been going on with her is to have a necropsy if she dies. Having a professional one done by your state lab is going to give you the best information. You are in CA, so UC Davis is your lab. I'm not sure how much it costs but you can call an ask. Alternatively, you can do your own and see if you find anything obvious. Sometimes a hen may have other issues like Fatty Liver Disease, a heart condition or ??? You may find something or you may not.
I don't think you caused this...I don't see how:hugs
My dad has been saying to put her down as well. I hope the other hen does not have a reproductive disorder as well. 😞 This is awful. Is there a way to prevent reproductive disorders?

Back
Top Bottom