Egg bound

Pics

cherrynberry

🍒❤️🐓🐐🐕🐖🐈
Aug 2, 2020
California
We have an egg bound hen, and for the warm epsom salt bath, we don’t have epsom salt, will just warm water work?

or will sea salt work in replacement of the epsom salt?

I could not feel an egg. I gave her two warm baths without salt. One for 5 minutes and then I added warmer water (the first was too cold/on the colder side). And gave her a warmer soak for 23 minutes. Then I wrapped her in a towel until she was 50% dry and then put her into her own brooder and gave her a heat lamp for the night. She is not looking good :( she started looking eggbound in the morning, but has not laid the egg yet. She did however poop 4 times. 2 were liquid, 1 was a diarrhea, and 1 was solid.

Her abdomen is quite full, so I was wondering what if she has water belly? She walked like a penguin with her tail down which makes me think she is egg bound. She also eats a little, I was able to let her eat calcium.
You may be right that she has fluid/water belly (Ascites).
Is she still breathing ok? Sometimes if they have fluid they start to have a hard time breathing because of pressure on the air sacs.

Eating a little is fine, will she drink? Keeping hydrated is always a good thing. Is she well enough to move from the heat lamp if she gets too hot?

Epsom salt is different I think. At least it tastes different than sea salt. (I may have tried both when I was younger.)

I would try just a regular bath with no salt for now, but if one of the more experienced members says it will work, then go ahead.

Another thing to do for an egg bound hen is give it some extra calcium if you have not already. (500 mg straight into her beak, calcium citrate for humans works)

I hope she gets better!

The symptoms could be from cancer tumors starting to shut down her body. They can also be from feeling ill, not eating, and becoming weak, further causing weakness and even paralysis.

Try sugar in her water. It will encourage her to drink and could raise her glucose enough to revive her and enable her legs to function. It may increase her appetite and she may begin to eat again and recover somewhat.

We have an egg bound hen, and for the warm epsom salt bath, we don’t have epsom salt, will just warm water work?

or will sea salt work in replacement of the epsom salt?
Yes, just use warm water if you don't have epsom salts.

Good suggestion from @Lemon-Drop if she's egg bound, I would try to get the Calcium into her, this can help with contractions/pushing the egg.

Another thing on the soaking...if your hen is really lethargic, it's better to put her in a steamed up bathroom instead of getting her wet. Sometimes putting a hen in water if she's in a lot of distress or very unwell can cause them to go into shock and die.

Do the best you can. Do you fee the egg?

Yes, I have seen her moving toward the heat lamp and away from it. If she runs too fast, she breathes heavy. I really hope it’s NOT water belly though :(
It's good that she's still able to move about a little. I wouldn't make her run right now, but it sounds like she could if she was inclined to do so.

If she's eating some, then likely she will drink too, but that's a good idea to offer some wet feed to get a little water into her.

When you feel her belly (below the vent between her legs) does it feel really tight like a drum or is it just firm?

I am guessing it’s water belly? Could it spread to other chickens? It spreads genetically, right? Does the treatment usually last? Could it be Marek’s? She seems very instable and when she tries to get up, her wings tip to one side...
Water belly generally is not contagious. A couple of common causes of fluid to build up in the abdomen are reproductive issues (cancer, peritonitis, Salpingitis, etc.) or organ dysfunction (heart failure, fatty liver disease, etc.).

If there is fluid in the abdomen, sometimes it can be drained to give the hen some relief for a short period of time There are risks to doing this - infection can be introduced, hens can go into shock and die. Possible there may not be fluid, but a mass or tumor instead.
If it's fluid, it can build back up, and of course whatever is causing it, is still there.

A detox may also help too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-breath-if-you-hold-her.1284253/post-20750855

Sometimes a hen can live for a while longer when offered supportive care while others decline. No one can tell you how long she can live.

I'm very sorry that she's not doing well. I really stinks when a hen is sick.

Since there is no video, I just want to sort of explain her symptoms. First of all, her abdomen is soft and very flexible, but it feels filled, she also has some sort of paralysis (she was with the flock today :( ), she also seems to not be eating, seems to stand like a penguin sometimes, and this happened in 1-2 days.
Poor girl.

I think you may be doing all you can for her.

Poultry dust or spray are both fine to use.

For the towel, I would put it in a bucket of hot soapy water outside and let it soak for a while, then rinse with the hose. Then launder it.

When a hen is unwell, they can become infested, you are right about that. I would also treat the cage or carrier she's in/wipe it down. Treat the rest of your flock and their housing too. That's a big job! Permethrin spray will be easier to use when treating the housing.

Sorry, it looks like it’s not mites any more, my guess is maggots, but I am not sure…I am so worried, it looks awful! I have no idea what to do. Any help is appreciated. It’s all over her vent and she has poop all over her butt also. Will the flock have it as well?
You are right, it's maggots. You will need to get rid of those asap.

Wash her vent in warm soapy water, this will help remove a lot of them. Then pick off as many as you can with tweezers. Repeat the process. Give her breaks if she's stressed.

Flystrike can be very serious and yes, it can kill the bird in a short period of time.

Once you start cleaning her up, check to see if you can find a wound on the outside of her body or where the maggots are coming from.

Do you have someone that can help you with this?

I'm sorry sweetie. Do the best you can:hugs

Back
Top Bottom