Egg bound

Pics
Is your Dad going to help you?
Have him look up the Broomstick Method of putting a chicken down. There's a lot of videos.
This is the method I use to put my sickly hens down with, done correctly it takes just a few seconds.
How are things going?
I thought she died today. I brought her outside to chill next to the chicken pen, and visited her periodically. She no longer eats much, except eggs and a little bit of watermelon. Today night, I went to check on her and searched for 30 mins. Turns out she ran all the way back to her “cage” I was so scared. I let her sleep in her sling today. She is more active, but has water in her poop and does not have much of an appetite. She is slowly starving herself… :(

I thought she died today. I brought her outside to chill next to the chicken pen, and visited her periodically. She no longer eats much, except eggs and a little bit of watermelon. Today night, I went to check on her and searched for 30 mins. Turns out she ran all the way back to her “cage” I was so scared. I let her sleep in her sling today. She is more active, but has water in her poop and does not have much of an appetite. She is slowly starving herself… :(
I'm sorry to hear that.
It does sound like she's not going to improve :(

Yeah, I don’t know if I can even have the courage to cull her though, even if I am not the one doing it.
From what you've described, the kindest thing you can do for her is let her go. She is only going to suffer and continue to get worse.
It's HARD even when you aren't the one doing it. :hugs
For the time being, when I have a bird that needs to be euthanized, I have my neighbor take her at night to a location far away from the chicken's pen and shoot her in the head and leave her there. It's over practically instantly for the chicken and her body is left for some animal to take and make a meal of. If one life must be lost, at least let her body benefit another life.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don’t know if I can even have the courage to cull her though, even if I am not the one doing it.
She is slowly starving herself:(
Think it all through.
You care about her I know. Do you care enough to let her go so she's not slowly starving to death.
It's a hard decision to make and I know it hurts your heart. You have Dad that will help you. Sit down and talk with him. :hugs

Yes, just use warm water if you don't have epsom salts.

Good suggestion from @Lemon-Drop if she's egg bound, I would try to get the Calcium into her, this can help with contractions/pushing the egg.

Another thing on the soaking...if your hen is really lethargic, it's better to put her in a steamed up bathroom instead of getting her wet. Sometimes putting a hen in water if she's in a lot of distress or very unwell can cause them to go into shock and die.

Do the best you can. Do you fee the egg?
Hey my bird egg bound she calm but not really doing so I give warm bath to atleast help cause I think she egg bound

Back
Top Bottom