Egg bound??

Jan 9, 2022
Yesterday I noticed one if my hens was walking with her tail down. She has been eating and drinking. She was out free ranging and when I called them back she ran to me and that's when I noticed her tail. This morning she seems to be laying down a lot and is clumsy which is unusual. I wouldn't say she is standing/walking like a penguin and I couldn't feel an egg when I felt her belly. I am going to let her soak in warm water just in case she is egg bound but could it be something else?

The picture doesn't show how she has holding it. She is upset here bc she seen the other chickens. Her tail has been all the way down

Attachments

• 20220707_085925.jpg
    20220707_085925.jpg
    732.1 KB · Views: 17
WAIT! Don't soak her.
Soaking a sick bird can cause it to go down hill faster and kill it.

Are you able to stick a finger in her vent to feel for an egg?

How old is she?
When was the last time she laid an egg?
Exactly do you feed your flock?
Does her belly feel like... Compare it to a couple of other birds. Is it full and squishy like?

WAIT! Don't soak her.

How old is she?
Does her belly feel like... Compare it to a couple of other birds. Is it full and squishy I

WAIT! Don't soak her.

How old is she?
Does her belly feel like... Compare it to a couple of other birds. Is it full and squishy like?
I would say she is a little more firmer than the other hens I checked. Not a lot just enough to notice.

I feed them purina all flock but I mix it will black oil sun flower seeds. I feed them from feeders from tractor supply but I also have a storage container with chicken feeders attached.

She is 8 months old and honestly not sure the last time she laid an egg. I have 15 other laying hens currently and not sure which egg is hers.

I guess I could stick my finger in her. Is there a right/wrong way to do it?

I would say she is a little more firmer than the other hens I checked. Not a lot just enough to notice.

I feed them purina all flock but I mix it will black oil sun flower seeds. I feed them from feeders from tractor supply but I also have a storage container with chicken feeders attached.

She is 8 months old and honestly not sure the last time she laid an egg. I have 15 other laying hens currently and not sure which egg is hers.

I guess I could stick my finger in her. Is there a right/wrong way to do it?
So I checked her. I didnt feel anything. But she has yellow poop. I am going to treat them all for coccidia and worm them.

Feeding the sunflower seeds regularly is a problem.
They are extremely high in fat. Birds that eat treats regularly are much more prone to get serious problems with their lady parts.

Highly recommend that you stop feeding that immediately.
If you feel the need to continue to feed it you should never be feeding more than a tiny pinch to each bird each day.
One spoonful per bird is pushing it.

She must likely does not have a stuck egg but she probably has some type of infection brewing in her lady parts.

So I checked her. I didnt feel anything. But she has yellow poop. I am going to treat them all for coccidia and worm them.
Yellow means infection.
Your best option is to take her to a vet to get antibiotics.

I highly recommend that you stop feeding regular treats.

Many many people, myself included in the beginning, don't understand how much damage can be done simply by what you feed your birds.

It is one thing that you have almost complete control over.

Balanced diet is best.

Back
Top Bottom