Egg Bound?

And you gave her calcium? how many times? You need liquid calcium gluconate and be give it to her many times as much as 2x a day if you think she is egg bound the cal glu will work to cause contractions @Amigas vet told her about it. I do use ACV as a in my flocks drinking water a couple time as week but if egg bound I don’t think it will help. Dried green oregano is used in the poultry industry as a natural antibiotic. Any other symptoms besides acting egg bound and breathing hard which usually come when having a hard time passing an egg. you really need to get on top of this being egg bound can kill them.

Last edited:
And you gave her calcium? how many times? You need liquid calcium gluconate and be give it to her many times as much as 2x a day if you think she is egg bound the cal glu will work to cause contractions @Amigas vet told her about it. I do use ACV as a in my flocks drinking water a couple time as week but if egg bound I don’t think it will help. Dried green oregano is used in the poultry industry as a natural antibiotic. Any other symptoms besides acting egg bound and breathing hard which usually come when having a hard time passing an egg. you really need to get on top of this being egg bound can kill them.
Just found a vet 30 min from me that takes ducks. We are taking her tomorrow afternoon. Earliest possible. I will let you know what we find out. Thank you for your advice. We do have the calcium gluconate. And we are giving it to her. We thought we can only give it to her 1X a day. We will give it to her twice now. Thank you. I really appreciate it.

That's great you found a vet who will see ducks. I sure hope they can help.
One of our members had an egg-bound duck she gave her at least 5 doses before the egg finally was laid.

Last edited:
That's great you found a vet who will see ducks. I sure hope they can help.
One of our members had an egg-bound duck she gave her at least 5 doses before the egg finally was laid.
well we took Dewey to the vet yesterday. Vet checked her out and everything. she doesnt feel an egg. She said if she does have an egg stuck its not low enough yet for me to feel it. She said some warm TCL is good for her so a warm bath could be helpful, and she might be in a funk bc of the light changes, with it getting light so late and dark so early. She said she is a diva because she is very pampered and spoiled and is very picky with the fresh food she eats. The only fresh food we found that she likes is peas and blueberries. she looks at up like we are crazy when we give her any other human food like watermelon, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, lettuce. So she gave us 2 things we can order from amazon to maybe help expand her palate. She suggested adding a light to the area to mimic natural light for during the day, but im not sure if thats really necessary... she lives outside not inside. Dewey hasnt laid an egg in over a week, but the vet said they slow down in the winter, which we knew, but she was acting a little strange so it made us nervous as we didnt want to lose her. but you know animals are just like little children. She minute we got her in the vet office, she perked right up acting like she wasnt sick anymore, drinking all the way and eating some snacks. it was insane. she did however have a water liquid poop on the vets floor, and she said i see what you mean, there is no form to the poop at all. it could possibly be because she hasnt eaten any food really in a couple days. She said there was no signs of major muscle loss or anything or any stress feathers as well. so we will just give her some extra TCL and keep an eye on her. thank you all for the advice!

I am with you light isn't necessary it is good for them to have breaks from laying gives their bodies a chance to rest and restore calcium that is lost during egg laying.
Really sounds good that she hasn't lost muscle mass .
Have you considered the possibility you have spoiled her and she only wants the treats and not feed? it can happen, It's hard to do I know but maybe cut back on the treats and wait and see if she begins to eat her feed more. Try adding some extra protein like sprinkle dried mealworms over her feed mix them in so she isn't just eating the mealworms off the top. My flocks loves dry dog feed i have a mini dachshund so they eat what he eats since it is for small breeds. They get this and dried mealworms for their treat and romaine lettuce or cabbage 1-2X a week. It's hard not to spoil them I know but if I see mine cutting back on eating their feed [which has the essential vitamins they need ]I cut back on treats. Just like other pets or even kids they like dessert best.

That is so funny she perked up at the vets like nothing in the world was wrong what a diva. lol

@Miss Lydia yeah we aren't dependent on the eggs, so if she stops laying for a while that's completely okay. She is a duck that lays huge eggs, most of them are double yokers, so we just get really nervous about her laying eggs in general. We really don't give them treats honestly. We give her 1 TBSP of meals worms and IMPECKABLES from tractor supply with her liquid b complex on it in the morning because she is a jumbo pekin we don't want any leg issues, so we give her liquid b complex every morning on top of a "breakfast". ever since she was little she has never really wanted any human food, besides peas and blueberries, and we really haven't given them much of that recently with the winter.

LOL we were almost embarrassed having her in the vet because of how normal she was acting in there! she didnt stop drinking water the whole time she was in the vet, she quacked a lot, which we didnt hear much of that for a while either. the vet and her nurse were giving her a little treat after checking her and she like swalled them whole she at them so fast. it was insane. i was like.... ummm she was not like this last night... I havent seen her this active in a few days. so when we got in the car... i asked Dewey if she just needed a break from her sisters, and wanted to go for a car ride with her moms. which is completely okay but i was so nervous something was wrong with her!!! lol

If they can embarrass us they sure will lol I am so thankful she’s okay just as I know you are. They sure are special. That’s great you give her BComplex everyday she sure needs it!

Just wanted to check in and see how your girl is doing?
thank you so much for checking on her. She has really improved. She isnt staying in one spot anymore, and she has started eating again. I guess ducks really do get seasonal depression sometimes. She is the sweetest girl ever and definitely a big part of the family.

Back
Top Bottom