Egg Bound?

Dinos_rock

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
Arizona
My Old English Bantam Game Hen just started laying eggs. She laid her first egg on March 12. She laid her second egg on March 14. It is now March 21 and she hasn't laid anymore eggs. Is it normal for hens, when they first start laying, to stop for a week? Or is she egg bound? She is my very first chicken, so I am not that experienced with them. Sorry if this is a silly question, I am just a little worried. Just about fifteen minutes ago, I saw her do this squatting thing for a few seconds. I thought she was going to poop, but nothing came out. If she is egg bound what should I do?

Last edited:
It's not unusual for them to take a break as their egg laying 'gear' is revving up.

Were you anywhere near her when she squatted? If so she may have just been flirting with you and doing 'the squat'.

Watch her carefully though for any other symptoms - lethargy, not eating, no energy, etc.

Hopefully it's just the kinks working themselves out as she starts laying.

When she did the squatting thing, I had just taken her out of her cage and put her on the ground. I have seen her do that before. As far as her behavior, (besides the squatting thing) she is acting perfectly fine. Thanks for the reply.

If your bird is truly eggbound whe will have difficulty walking...will pant and become very ill very quickly.

She laid an egg today
big_smile.png
; I am so glad she is okay. Thanks everyone, I was so worried! As I said before, she is my first chicken, so I am not that experienced. Thanks again!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom