Egg bound???

sorry this is late, but the best remedy i've found is feeding calcium. it not only helps with shells, but helps push egg out. The other stuff didn't work for me
You're right... Since I started giving them calcium I haven't had to give any baths. Calcium pills work, but liquid calcium works better, IMO. You can buy the liquid at TSC - Calcium Gluconate 23% Solution:

-Kathy

Last edited:
You're right... Since I started giving them calcium I haven't had to give any baths. Calcium pills work, but liquid calcium works better, IMO. You can buy the liquid at TSC - Calcium Gluconate 23% Solution:

-Kathy

Thank you! I didn't even know about this!! Will get some. It's better than grinding up pills
How much do you give?

Last edited:
Thank you! I didn't even know about this!! Will get some. It's better than grinding up pills
How much do you give?

I give it based on weight and the amounts recommended by vets varies between 100-300mg/kg. The liquid is 230mg per 1ml and I think the last time I used it I gave my 4kg peahen 5ml which works out to 287.5mg/kg and she laid her egg within an hour.

-Kathy

sorry this is late, but the best remedy i've found is feeding calcium. it not only helps with shells, but helps push egg out. The other stuff didn't work for me

Oh, thank you so much!!!
It appears that she's not egg bound after all, but I will definitely remember this if I do have an egg bound hen!!!
highfive.gif

I give it based on weight and the amounts recommended by vets varies between 100-300mg/kg. The liquid is 230mg per 1ml and I think the last time I used it I gave my 4kg peahen 5ml which works out to 287.5mg/kg and she laid her egg within an hour.

-Kathy
Thanks so much! I'll be getting that soon. Every once in a while one of my old hatchery breeds has issues. This will work better than the pills :)

Did I see someone post about using crushed Tums? (maybe just in a pinch or something)
I did. I use a whole one, but i'm getting some of the liquid that casportpony posted. you can crush a calcium pill too. Tums has artifical flavors, so I like the other options better. But didn’t hurt my birds. Some people give a tablet whole, but that kind of worried me. So I crushed them and diluted in a little water. then fed in a dropper. The egg would pass within a couple of hours. The calcium is for the shell, but many mammals have delivery issues in birth if they are calcium deficient. When my Ausralian Shepherd had her litter, it was recommended to give 1 or 2 tums at onset of delivery (you don’t want alot more than that). It helps with the natural contractions in labor. So it really makes sense in the chickens how it can help in the passage of the egg as well as the strength of the shell.

I did. I use a whole one, but i'm getting some of the liquid that casportpony posted. you can crush a calcium pill too. Tums has artifical flavors, so I like the other options better. But didn’t hurt my birds. Some people give a tablet whole, but that kind of worried me. So I crushed them and diluted in a little water. then fed in a dropper. The egg would pass within a couple of hours. The calcium is for the shell, but many mammals have delivery issues in birth if they are calcium deficient. When my Ausralian Shepherd had her litter, it was recommended to give 1 or 2 tums at onset of delivery (you don’t want alot more than that). It helps with the natural contractions in labor. So it really makes sense in the chickens how it can help in the passage of the egg as well as the strength of the shell.

Oh, I thought I'd seen that. We always have Tums in the house, but sometimes I run out of my calcium. I'll have to get some of that liquid.
As for using calcium to aid in delivery with mammals, I've also seen vanilla ice cream and yogurt recommended. Just puttin' that out there for those who might want to know. =)

Does this look like egg bound? I cleaned it off and treating it. She is happy and eating and walks OK so wonder if she is just sitting in her poo. It's been stupid cold here until recently. I'm am also pretty sure she is laying still. None of the others are like this.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom