Egg bound???

Thanks for telling you story. This sounds like what we are experiencing, dormant hen whose body went into egg laying bad. We've tried the calcium/bath--now we're just waiting.

One of my hens was acting ill and hasn't laid an egg in 4 days, so I came here suspecting she was egg bound. Last night she was standing by the food dish and wouldn't come in to roost, so I brought her inside. She climbed into the hen house, which she never does, and was still standing in there this morning. When I let the girls outside, she didn't want to go. I quickly decided she need some calcium. All I had where oyster shells, so I mixed a bunch in with scrambled eggs, cheese and a little bit of bread. She ate most of the eggs. Then I had to leave. A few hours later she was in the next box standing in broken egg. I also found some egg white in the hen house from last night, but no shell in there.

It looks like she laid at least one broken egg..is it possible to have two at a time? I took a pic of the next box. The tan lump towards the top of the picture is a compressed egg shell. the white blob towards the bottom is a very thick egg membrane or possibly a soft shell.

Our hen is out walking outside and sunning herself. Is there anything else I can do for her? She looks better but is very depressed and does not want to be around the other chickens. I read so many stories on here about the hens not making it. I hope I got to ours soon enough - she's our favorite hen!

Back
Top Bottom