Egg broke in broody nest day 5 HELP

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
Ok. so a hen is broody. 1st time for her. I waited 5 days to be sure she was really broody.
put 11 eggs under her on Sunday. (a few are smallish pullet eggs).She can cover them.
Today is day 4/5. This morning I decided to check the eggs and there was a broken one. I think from today, but could've been there last night, too.

I KNOW why this happened, (2 of my older hens like to kick her off the nest so they can sit on it) OR (when she gets up to poop and eat and prune she takes about 20 minutes !!! and someone takes over)Ive seen both of these things happen, and I imagine all this action isn't good. I will block her off from the group from now on. I have a broody pen I can put her in.

HOWEVER. the bigger issue is ---- the yolk covered eggs. There are 10 now. I have candled them and they all appear to have views and a large dark area. No cracks. I dunked each quickly in very warm water and wiped firmly with paper towel until yolk was gone and then rinsed in warm water. I have changed out the bedding and she is back on them. The whole thing took about 45 minutes..and they might have spent half a day covered in yolk.

Would you throw them all away and start fresh (unlimited supply of eggs here) OR would you wait 3 more days and candle? Only 3 eggs are light, the others are dark brown or blue so harder to candle.

thanks

I've faced this dilemma, too. I think you've done what you could, and I think the eggs should be okay since the yolk likely wasn't on the shells long enough to grow bacteria. But it's a risk. Time will tell. Did you also clean out any yolk stained nesting material? That also would be important.

Glad to hear you partitioned the broody nest. The hen "traffic" was probably responsible for the breakage. A broody often judges how long she can be off the eggs according to how warm the day is. A cold day will cause her to cut short her dust bathing and eating/water breaks. A warm day will give her more time for these breaks.

Back
Top Bottom