Egg Candling observations

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Must Be Losing It, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    So I candled my little weebles and I'm not too optimistic especially after some of the temperature issues I had in the beginning.

The obvious ones are easy, you can see the embryo's/veining and all's good, but then I see some veining w/ what looks like loose gooiness. Is this normal or are they bad eggs? My husband says hold onto them and see what happens but I don't want yuck exploding in my incubator.

Please oh wise ones, enlighten me...

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    How far along are you in the incubation period. I wait 10 - 14 days before I throw any eggs. It is just one way to be sure the egg is not developing properly.

3. ~0\/0~

~0\/0~ Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    They will start to smell before they explode - so you do have some time to wait and check them again.

best wishes for a great hatch

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    When I have a questionable egg I mark it with a ? at day 7 when I candle and if it hasn't started weeping or gotten funky smelling (which I have only ever had one) by day 14 and its still clear it gets tossed then...I'm always doubting and making sure I don't toss a good one...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by