Egg Candling! Tips, Tricks, and Best Practices.

Please explain! I'm a newbie and interested in hearing exactly why not to candle from the pointy part or side! Thank you.
See my comment above yours ;)

It won't hurt anything, it's just much easier to see inside the egg when candling from the air cell (rounded end of the egg). In early development I always candle from the side but later it can be really hard to see inside the egg if you don't candle from the rounded end.

I have read not to turn the egg 360 degrees because possible to break the cord attached to the chick.

Interesting, I'll have to look into this. I'm assuming you mean rotating the eggs so that the air cell is facing down? I don't make a habit of turning the eggs end over end, so I'm actually not sure about how it could effect the hatch, but in general it's always a good idea to handle the eggs gently and to not jostle them too much! :thumbsup

I know a lot of people use candlers that are attached to Incubators as well as stationary candlers, and homemade candlers (flashlight under a cardboard box) and I would imagine all of those people would be orienting the eggs air cell down to candle. If I can't find any thorough information online I may just have to conduct my own experiment! ;) Thanks for bringing this up.

I'm so happy to see This thread. I'm collecting goose eggs this week in preparation for incubation. My first time ever, so I'm a little nervous.

I LOVE hatching goslings!!! They're the puppies of the poultry world. The shells are sooo thick it makes it super tough to candle for early development, so definitely don't feel discouraged if you can't see anything at first. I hope you have a great hatch!

3-3-20 Day 8 (1).jpg

I LOVE hatching goslings!!! They're the puppies of the poultry world. The shells are sooo thick it makes it super tough to candle for early development, so definitely don't feel discouraged if you can't see anything at first. I hope you have a great hatch!

View attachment 2641181
Thanks for mentioning the shell thickness! As I've been selecting them, I was comparing the shell hardness to the duck eggs and they feel really thick. I could see how candling could be an issue!

Thanks for mentioning the shell thickness! As I've been selecting them, I was comparing the shell hardness to the duck eggs and they feel really thick. I could see how candling could be an issue!

In some cases when I was candling before day 10, taking a picture and adjusting the image to black and white was the only way I could see what was going on in there! Lol

Back
Top Bottom