Egg Candling! Tips, Tricks, and Best Practices.

Pics
Omgosh!!! I hate my phone camera so bad! I tried to use my rlly nice canon rebel t7 but it wouldn't let me take the pics bcuz it thought they were ugly or something 😂. My phone wouldn't focus no matter how hard I tried so they're super blurry. If you can gather something from the HORRIBLE photos then great, but if you can't then I totally understand!

Pic Numero uno: looks like it rlly didn't even start, we threw out the quitters not too long ago and we swore all that was left would make it.
20210508_215836_HDR.jpg

Pic number two: looks kinda funny it worries me more than the other eggs, lots of empty space, I feel like I see a tiny teeny weeny bit of movement but it still makes me nervous😬. Tried turning it b&w but it just looked even more blurry so I didn't bother posting it.
20210508_215808_HDR.jpg

The third pic: This is a normal egg for comparison, doesn't worry me at all. I see movement and it's well filled. It's also probably the blurriest pic too.
20210508_215940~2.jpg
20210508_220009.jpg

The second egg is the only one I'm worried about now (we threw out the first, it had a very weird air sac that was floating around everywhere) it has so much more clear space than the other eggs. It hasn't changed much in a while, but I feel like I see a little movement. The eggs are due to hatch in ten days. I know it is hard to tell from the pics that I gave but it's probably 20-30% full vs. the 60% that the other eggs have. Thank you in advance!😁

Omgosh!!! I hate my phone camera so bad! I tried to use my rlly nice canon rebel t7 but it wouldn't let me take the pics bcuz it thought they were ugly or something 😂. My phone wouldn't focus no matter how hard I tried so they're super blurry. If you can gather something from the HORRIBLE photos then great, but if you can't then I totally understand!

Pic Numero uno: looks like it rlly didn't even start, we threw out the quitters not too long ago and we swore all that was left would make it.View attachment 2657984

Pic number two: looks kinda funny it worries me more than the other eggs, lots of empty space, I feel like I see a tiny teeny weeny bit of movement but it still makes me nervous😬. Tried turning it b&w but it just looked even more blurry so I didn't bother posting it.View attachment 2657988

The third pic: This is a normal egg for comparison, doesn't worry me at all. I see movement and it's well filled. It's also probably the blurriest pic too.View attachment 2657991View attachment 2657996

The second egg is the only one I'm worried about now (we threw out the first, it had a very weird air sac that was floating around everywhere) it has so much more clear space than the other eggs. It hasn't changed much in a while, but I feel like I see a little movement. The eggs are due to hatch in ten days. I know it is hard to tell from the pics that I gave but it's probably 20-30% full vs. the 60% that the other eggs have. Thank you in advance!😁

It is hard to tell from the picture but at first glance it looks like a quitter and the veins appear to be receding but if you're still seeing movement and the egg doesn't stink, I would just mark the egg in question and check again in a couple of days. You are right to think it looks fishy though.

It is hard to tell from the picture but at first glance it looks like a quitter and the veins appear to be receding but if you're still seeing movement and the egg doesn't stink, I would just mark the egg in question and check again in a couple of days. You are right to think it looks fishy though.
:fl I hope it surprises me!

What would you use for mites on your chickens I don't have them and I hope I never do but I'm trying to answer it for another person. And I think she might have an infestation. I told her what to do about the chicken coop but I don't know how to treat the chickens and I don't want to give her the wrong information. And she needs to nip this in the bud ASAP.

What would you use for mites on your chickens I don't have them and I hope I never do but I'm trying to answer it for another person. And I think she might have an infestation. I told her what to do about the chicken coop but I don't know how to treat the chickens and I don't want to give her the wrong information. And she needs to nip this in the bud ASAP.

I've never dealt with mites myself but tagging people in the thread might help more so we can ask and answer questions but if you're talking about red mites and not leg mites then permethrin is usually recommended for use on the chickens and is safe.

Possibly starting another thread about this might be helpful! But here is what I did when I had mites last year in the coop and on the chickens.

I cleaned the coop out throughly then sprayed it with Permethrin (diluted correctly). I had to repeat two more times to get rid of the mites. Permtherin only kills live mites, not eggs so it is necessary to repeat again in 7-10 days then again in other week if needed. For the chickens, I used Permethrin dust for poultry. You should be able to find the Permethrin solution and dust at a local feed store.
Screenshot_20210509-101954_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210509-102059_Chrome.jpg

Pic Numero uno: looks like it rlly didn't even start, we threw out the quitters not too long ago and we swore all that was left would make it.View attachment 2657984

Pic number two: looks kinda funny it worries me more than the other eggs, lots of empty space, I feel like I see a tiny teeny weeny bit of movement but it still makes me nervous😬. Tried turning it b&w but it just looked even more blurry so I didn't bother posting it.View attachment 2657988

The third pic: This is a normal egg for comparison, doesn't worry me at all. I see movement and it's well filled. It's also probably the blurriest pic too.View attachment 2657991View attachment 2657996

I have a Canon Rebel too - and I was thinking of setting mine up on a tripod with a fixed candling station so that all pictures will look similar in terms of egg profile and focus.

Taking pictures in the dark will be a challenge - you'll possibly need to increase your ISO setting and have a longer shutter time. Using a tripod to do this would be a good idea - and I was thinking using a remote shutter release to avoid handling the camera.

Depending your setup - I'd suggest the kit 18-55mm lens should work - but just for giggles I might get out a macro lens to see what happens!!

I have a Canon Rebel too - and I was thinking of setting mine up on a tripod with a fixed candling station so that all pictures will look similar in terms of egg profile and focus.

Taking pictures in the dark will be a challenge - you'll possibly need to increase your ISO setting and have a longer shutter time. Using a tripod to do this would be a good idea - and I was thinking using a remote shutter release to avoid handling the camera.

Depending your setup - I'd suggest the kit 18-55mm lens should work - but just for giggles I might get out a macro lens to see what happens!!
Yeah, good tips👍
I'm thinking I'll take my camera and tweak and experiment in a dark room with an unfertilized egg. That way I'll know exactly how to take the pics next time, I do just wish it would take the picture when I click the button tho😂

Back
Top Bottom