Egg Candling! Tips, Tricks, and Best Practices.

Pics
Yeah, good tips👍
I'm thinking I'll take my camera and tweak and experiment in a dark room with an unfertilized egg. That way I'll know exactly how to take the pics next time, I do just wish it would take the picture when I click the button tho😂
The delayed picture taking (when you click) will be because it is selecting a long shutter time to compensate for the dark room.

If you increase your ISO settings a bit that should help - but it is still probably going to be very slow. That is why setting the camera on a tripod or even just on the table will be useful - from the time you press the button you want no movement of the camera while it takes the long exposure shot.

The delayed picture taking (when you click) will be because it is selecting a long shutter time to compensate for the dark room.

If you increase your ISO settings a bit that should help - but it is still probably going to be very slow. That is why setting the camera on a tripod or even just on the table will be useful - from the time you press the button you want no movement of the camera while it takes the long exposure shot.
Ah, that makes sense. I have a rlly fancy book to go with my camera but it never explained it like that! Thank you!

I have a Canon Rebel too - and I was thinking of setting mine up on a tripod with a fixed candling station so that all pictures will look similar in terms of egg profile and focus.

Taking pictures in the dark will be a challenge - you'll possibly need to increase your ISO setting and have a longer shutter time. Using a tripod to do this would be a good idea - and I was thinking using a remote shutter release to avoid handling the camera.

Depending your setup - I'd suggest the kit 18-55mm lens should work - but just for giggles I might get out a macro lens to see what happens!!

I use a Nikon D3400, I turn the flash off and manually focus when it won't auto focus but I do find that I can use my auto focus more often if I'm further from the egg and zoom in with the lens rather than getting closer to the egg. It seems to more readily recognize the egg that way.

I use a Nikon D3400, I turn the flash off and manually focus when it won't auto focus but I do find that I can use my auto focus more often if I'm further from the egg and zoom in with the lens rather than getting closer to the egg. It seems to more readily recognize the egg that way.
Agree - you won't want the flash because that will reduce the effectiveness of the candler light coming through the egg. Manual focus is definitely the way to go if you can :)

5-9-21 Day 4.jpg

The same image in black and white.
5-9-21 (4-2).jpg

I'm cheating I didn't post the the candling on the dark egg I can see it but it doesn't show up on the picture so I'm using my white egg.

I don't blame you! I think using a white egg is great! Eventually I'd like to do this for multiple egg colors and sizes to give a better idea of what people can expect to see.

hey urs

hello fellow Georgian, how do you candle a egg past 17 days

also, i can see why you wanted to use theView attachment 2639958 smile. :yuckyuck

If you mean because it's difficult to see what's going on because the chick fills the egg, you can still often get an idea of what is going on inside the egg when candling from the air cell. You might even see the internal pip, a little triangle shape where the chick pipped through the internal membrane.

If you mean in general, after lockdown you can still candle your eggs I just try not to rotate them too much from the position that I put them in for lockdown because this is the timeframe that the chick should be turning to get into position for hatch. Keeping the humidity elevated and stable (meaning don't open the Incubator to candle, lol) is only important once there are external pips to help keep the membrane from drying out. :)

Back
Top Bottom