Egg Candling! Tips, Tricks, and Best Practices.

Thanks for this thread.

As for darkened room, I find putting a blanket over my head and candling underneath works too! Especially when I'm kneeling next to my broody's nest outdoors and can only really candle during the day when she is off having some food.
Oh my goodness, the visual. I know if someone took a picture of you, it wouldn't do it justice. I'll just keep giggling about this every time I candle mine.

Before lockdown egg should have a slope, and all dark but for the aircell (Fat part of egg). Remember to candle the tip (pointed part). The tip should be dark also.
IMG_2747.JPG

Below is a day 18 egg that is not ready for lockdown.
IMG_2862.JPG

Before lockdown egg should have a slope, and all dark but for the aircell (Fat part of egg). Remember to candle the tip (pointed part). The tip should be dark also.
View attachment 3399265
Below is a day 18 egg that is not ready for lockdown.
View attachment 3399273

You can still put the egg on lockdown when the drawing down of the membrane isn't noticeable. The "slope" is caused by the chick rotating to get into position for hatch. You're more likely to have a malposition that will still attempt to hatch when the air cell remains round and it's hatch day.

You can still put the egg on lockdown when the drawing down of the membrane isn't noticeable. The "slope" is caused by the chick rotating to get into position for hatch. You're more likely to have a malposition that will still attempt to hatch when the air cell remains round and it's hatch day.
I have such a time with this candling. Yesterday I put 28 eggs in for the first time in a couple of years, and thought I should come brush up, and maybe THIS time I'll get it. I have silkies, so maybe they are more difficult, but I'd think they'd be easiest, actually. The only time I ever figured one out for sure was when it was solidly clear on day 10. I usually have 100% hatch rates, probably because we've always got way more roosters than we should have, so maybe that's why I'm not learning anything either as they all look the same. Just once I'd love to find something different, so I'd know if I'm doing it right lol.

I have such a time with this candling. Yesterday I put 28 eggs in for the first time in a couple of years, and thought I should come brush up, and maybe THIS time I'll get it. I have silkies, so maybe they are more difficult, but I'd think they'd be easiest, actually. The only time I ever figured one out for sure was when it was solidly clear on day 10. I usually have 100% hatch rates, probably because we've always got way more roosters than we should have, so maybe that's why I'm not learning anything either as they all look the same. Just once I'd love to find something different, so I'd know if I'm doing it right lol.

Well if you're getting 100% hatch rates, I think it's safe to say you're probably doing it right. 😆

Back
Top Bottom