Egg Carton Hatch caton got wet!

needtohatch

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
Hart Co
I did not think the carton was touching the water wells in my LG but now half way through my hatch it looks wet! My humidity is also getting high and hard to bring down.
Should I take it out and just lay the eggs back in? Should I just leave it? Will it hurt the eggs to set in a damp carton?
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

Any ideas? Please!

Take them out of the carton, wipe them off if they are damp, and either set them in a dry carton or on the mesh. Soak up some of the water if the humidity is still too high or if the eggs are at risk of touching the water. Getting wet for a short time won't kill them but too long and they'll absorb too much moisture. They definitely won't make it to hatch time if left touching water or wet cardboard.

Quote:
Thank you! I took out the carton and just set them on the mesh. I took a paper towel to see if any water was getting through the mesh and it dtayed dry. So now
fl.gif
So far I have had 13 out of 28 hatched
jumpy.gif
with more piped
celebrate.gif

My first hatch I drowned a few because after I added water the weight of the eggs caused the mesh to bend just enough they could touch. Then I had buttons due to hatch right around the time we had our first big snow melt which spiked my humidity from 55 where I was just barely able to keep it up to 85 and the carton was soaked.
roll.png
I lost 2 in the middle but I got them out of the carton within a few hours of it happening so the rest hatched fine.

Back
Top Bottom