Egg carton hatch with an LG?

needtohatch

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
Hart Co
I just read a post that the LG is too shallow to use egg cartons for hatching. I am on day 18 and wanted to use cartons. Can I do that or do I need to just lay them in there?

You can use egg cartons!! I use them with my LG and everything goes very nicely. Make sure you use paper/cardboard cartons and that the big end of the egg is facing up.
jumpy.gif

now, who told you THAT?

put an egg in the auto turner...

now take it out and put the same egg into a carton...

Now, which one is higher in the bator??

do not be so quick to believe everything... have a little doubt and figure it out..

I know the turner is higher. I just did not want to put them in cartons and end up having to mess with opening the bator to take them out if it was too high ( I have a hard time getting my temp back up when I open it). Since I have gotten the replies I put them in cartons and to be honest some of the larger eggs have me wondering if they are too close to the heating element. Since this is my first hatch I don't know how tall/high they stretch when hatching and I would hate to have one touce the element and get burned. I guess I will find out soon enough. Everyone seems to have their own opinions on almost every topic here and it never hurts to get all of them.

Thank you for you help.

Quote:
How do you fit them all in there? I only have 29 in right now and cant hardly get to the water wells to add water. I use a couple of straws put together and go in through one of the vent holes, so I have limited access. I was thinking I would love to set more eggs next time, but not sure how to fit them in and still get to the wells.

well right now I add water about every other day by useing and large sryinge from the feed store to squirt water in when I need to , I open teh bator for this but I have medical tubeing that Im gonna put in there in the next few days so I will not have to open it .
I have been turning by useing and idea I got off of here about proping up one end of the bator then the other , I have noticed this causes the heat to rise on one side so the lower side is about 98 and the top part is almost 103 at times so Im thinking about proping up eatch carton lol I just need to find enough things to prop them up with
hide.gif

This is my first hatch and I am learning as I go ...
tongue2.gif

And yes I did like 2 or 3 weeks of research befor I started but there are so many varying opinions on how you HAVE to do everything from turning to humidity ect that its still kinda trial and error as you go at first .
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom