egg carton

kelliepulido

Songster
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
st.john's mi
So w/egg carton method to turn do just tip the carton up on its side the long side so it is actually just a 1/4 turn for the egg or do you thing just putting the eggs in the carton on day 18 is better

If you don't have an automatic turner my opinion would be to tip the carton up on its side the long side so it is actually just a 1/4 turn for the egg. From the info I have gathered I believe the results are better if the egg is upright during incubation and not put in the carton after laying on its side for 18 days.

On this past hatch, I wasn't able to use my turner as it is made for chicken eggs and I was incubating geese, chicken, pheasant, duck and turkey eggs. I opted to try the egg carton method during incubation and hatching. Instead of putting water in the water reservoirs, I placed it in a child size cup with a paper towel sticking out of it in order to wick the moisture better and turned the eggs by placing a vhs case under one side of the bator, removing it and placing it under the other side several times a day.

I am very proud to say that my humidity and temps did well and that I had a decent hatch on the shipped eggs.

Quote:
If you are turning manually, and esp. if you have a fan, then the egg carton is a very good idea.

You want to turn the eggs 45 deg. one way, then 45 deg. the other, blunt end up.

The eggs travel through a total of 90 deg. from side to side, and this is all the auto-turners do.

Stop of day 18

Back
Top Bottom