Egg Cartons!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DIMBY, Oct 26, 2009.

1. DIMBY

DIMBY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
    Ok, first, not complaining AT ALL - but I need egg cartons! I am now getting 5-7 eggs per day, do the math, that means about three dozen a week. I've looked at eggcartons.com, the pricing is reasonable. What does everybody else do for egg cartons? When I searched the forum, I found some posts about concerns using used egg cartons (bacteria, etc.), and I can't disagree. Is there anybody in Western Colorado who would like to order in bulk with me? Craig's List isn't that popular in these parts.

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Either ask our friends, neighbors and relatives to save them for you or you can try eggboxes.com. They are the cheapest I have found. Look at the misprinted cartons. They usually ship for free.

3. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I buy mine from egg carton.com, I sell my eggs so I just figure the cost into the pricing.
    Three dozen a week is not bad you are only going to need like 12 cartons a month.
    You can order a minimum of 50 if you don't want to spend that much at once.
    I have 50 layers so I like to order 300-500 at a time so I don't have to pay shipping more than necessary.

4. chickeydee

chickeydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    I found that not putting my eggs in the frig . works well .I put them in a big bowl and sit them on the counter . Have not had a bad egg at all . The ladies lay an egg that has a film on them that perserves the egg and it is like liqud glass .

5. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    I posted a note in the locker room at work... 'desperately seeking egg cartons'... I was soon inundated.
    Of course I was hoping at least a few people would want to buy them back with eggs in them. Only one =\\ Someone else is already selling eggs there. Cartons kept coming in for years after we had enough.
    Now that I'm a BYC addict I may need some again soon. [​IMG]
    My friend with a farm/csa gave me two cases of them; his members always bring them to him and he had a ton. They were all the same and neatly nested together and the cats thought they made a great bed.
    Now I have ONE, favorite, clear plastic one in the fridge, and when it and the veggie drawer are full the chickies get an omelet with the surplus. [​IMG]

6. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought plastic egg cartons from Murray McMurray Hatchery. They are made from 100% recycled PET plastic bottles. I can wash and disinfect them easily and use them over and over. They also came with labels or label paper. They split into half dozen size cartons if needed.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/clear_plastic_egg_carton.html

I ordered along with a friend and split the cost of 50 since I don't sell eggs and didn't need hundreds. We really like them. The only down side is, my friend who has one hen that occasionally lays Jumbo 2.25 to 2.5 oz eggs can't fit it in the ends of the carton and still close, those eggs go in the middle.

Added:
    I forgot to mention, they are CLEAR egg cartons and it is nice to see the pretty mixed colors of the eggs without opening them. With shipping it came out to about $0.27 a half dozen size or $0.54 for the full sized.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Yep. Just put the word out among your friends, family, neighbors, and coworkers. I've come close to running out a time or two, but usually I can stay at least ten to twenty cartons ahead of what I'm using. Folks like to think they are recycling when they give you their old cartons. For the folks that bring me big stacks at once I give them eggs in return.

I get dozens, eighteen count, and flats in styrofoam, paper, and plastic. So long as they are clean I'll take anything.

.....Alan.

8. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    A friend of mine works at the local general store. They go through lots of eggs making meals and baking, so she saves the cartons for me. Way more than I can use! Ask around at local restarurants and diners, too.

9. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Some states do have regulations against selling eggs in re-used cartons. If you're selling, you might want to google your state's regs or contact your ag extension office. In some jurisdictions, it's ok to reuse cartons only if your customer is supplying their own ... i.e. "bring back an empty and I'll fill it" ...

I re-use the PET plastic ones because I can clean them, but I don't re-use cardstock ones.

10. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Is there a way to sterilize paper egg carton like in the oven at a low temp or in the Microwave? Just a thoght. I tell everyone that I don't wash my eggs because of the natural coating on them and to wash them before they use them so the sterile carton isn't a huge issue but it would be nice to know if anyone has tried to sterilize a used carton. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by