Egg/chick eating snakes

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Eggwell, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Eggwell

Eggwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    I think I would really love the opportunity to vent with this post. I have had an issue with an inordinate number of snakes eating my eggs or chicks this summer. What made matters worse; I seriously broke my ankle in late spring and was not able to take precautions, as I should. I am sick from killing snakes. I spent money on snake repellent, which was a joke. I tried as best I could to prevent rats, yet I lost around 20 eggs/chicks that I know of, probably more to snakes this summer. I felt so helpless which was magnified by my inability to walk. My ankle was broken in half, and I had to have plates on the inside an outside, and I just couldn't do much. What a horrible summer! We killed 7 snakes this summer! WHAT THE HAYE, MAN!!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh wow that sucks. I have never had issues with snakes. I would not know what to do. Good luck

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  3. Eggwell

Jan 3, 2014
    Our property is on the edge of 20+ acres of forest. I think the critters who live there sees our place as the dinner plate. Snakes give me the creeps the way they eat baby chicks and eggs... Thanks for the well wishing, though.

4. kelly52862

kelly52862 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Kentucky
    I have chickens and bunnies.... snakes are not friends in my world. I kill them too!

1 person likes this.
  5. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    I am sorry to hear about your loss but my first thought is that I hope your recovery goes healthily and smoothly without any more set-backs!
    Get 'healed' soon...

6. Eggwell

Jan 3, 2014
    Thank you so much for letting me vent. Things will get better. Stuff happens. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by