Egg-citement!

Dragon Lady

Songster
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
OOOH I couldn't wait to share our news......

We have 2 bronze hens and a royal palm tom that we got as pets early March this year.
They are all from last years hatches and so are maturing very nicely.

We collected 8 eggs from them, the hens are not nest making and just drop their eggs anywhere.

We popped those eggs into an incubator and last night we candled them at day 14, we had been unable to see anything at day 7 due to the very thick shells.

6 out of 8 are viable eggs with large dark area in each one. the other 2 seem to have just been infertile eggs.

Oh I am so excited that our eggs have embryos in them, I even felt one move!

I'll shut up now before I start rambling on haha!

OOOH I couldn't wait to share our news......

We have 2 bronze hens and a royal palm tom that we got as pets early March this year.
They are all from last years hatches and so are maturing very nicely.

We collected 8 eggs from them, the hens are not nest making and just drop their eggs anywhere.

We popped those eggs into an incubator and last night we candled them at day 14, we had been unable to see anything at day 7 due to the very thick shells.

6 out of 8 are viable eggs with large dark area in each one. the other 2 seem to have just been infertile eggs.

Oh I am so excited that our eggs have embryos in them, I even felt one move!

I'll shut up now before I start rambling on haha!
At about what age of development do you see the poult embryo that look like a black blob with black spots that look like where the eyes would be and the whole thing was about 1 inch long? I had unsuccessfully candled 8 turkey eggs.I was looking for the veining but didn't see any through the thick shells, some I could see the big air sack and other just the big yoke, so I presumed that these eggs like the first ones I collected were not fertile. I had put them in the frig since I figured they were not fertile. I have 3 hens laying their eggs in the same nest and thought I had collected the ones just laid in the last couple days. At any rate I cracked all open because I had killed them anyway by having them in the frig after they had started developing. The yokes were bloody on the outside some were veined looking. Obviously I don't have the right kind of flash light and don't know how to candle. I felt bad for taking the eggs after opening them and seeing babies developing. Now I'm just presuming the others are all fertile. The hatch day should be about the 14th of May but don't know what to do with the other eggs that wouldn't hatch that soon because the other turkeys won't go broody or quit laying in her nest box so she keeps getting 2 more eggs added to her already full nest each day. No incubator, guess I'll have to get one but probably wouldn't do that right if I didn't know how far along they were in their development stages

At about what age of development do you see the poult embryo that look like a black blob with black spots that look like where the eyes would be and the whole thing was about 1 inch long? I had unsuccessfully candled 8 turkey eggs.I was looking for the veining but didn't see any through the thick shells, some I could see the big air sack and other just the big yoke, so I presumed that these eggs like the first ones I collected were not fertile. I had put them in the frig since I figured they were not fertile. I have 3 hens laying their eggs in the same nest and thought I had collected the ones just laid in the last couple days. At any rate I cracked all open because I had killed them anyway by having them in the frig after they had started developing. The yokes were bloody on the outside some were veined looking. Obviously I don't have the right kind of flash light and don't know how to candle. I felt bad for taking the eggs after opening them and seeing babies developing. Now I'm just presuming the others are all fertile. The hatch day should be about the 14th of May but don't know what to do with the other eggs that wouldn't hatch that soon because the other turkeys won't go broody or quit laying in her nest box so she keeps getting 2 more eggs added to her already full nest each day. No incubator, guess I'll have to get one but probably wouldn't do that right if I didn't know how far along they were in their development stages
Sorry i didn't reply sooner :-( I lost my link here...but I'm back now! :)

Like you I have been unable to see any veining or blobs. We just saw a dark area and a lighter area that was the air space. Those eggs sure are thick!
I candled again today. I cut a hole in a piece of cardboard and placed it over my flashlight then was able to candle easier without blinding myself...and without cooking the eggs on a very bright and hot light bulb. The eggs have definately got a bigger air space in them, and even with them due in the next few days we are unable to see anything else going on in there.

I cant suggest anything regarding your eggs, I guess we just have to trust that nature will do her thing for you and that your hen successfully hatches some fluffy poults for you.

fingers crossed!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom