Egg cleaning question..........

I have been looking for answers to this also.

I found a site that gives guidelines for egg industry processors...which I am NOT seeing that I only have 13 laying hens, lol!

Here's the main info that I found: "Wash water shall be maintained at 90oF or higher and at least 20oF higher than the temperature of the eggs to be washed."

Hope this helps those that are interested in washing their eggies!

Here's the link to my thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=179172

I choose to wash all of my eggs, I do not like poop or dirt on what I eat or what I put in the bator,

this is my thinking, if you put dirty eggs in your bator, bacteria grows with heat,
I wash them all with warm water and a sponge-

I was just told today that it was better to dip the eggs in a warm water/Oxine solution to kill all of the bacteria prior to putting them in the incubator than to wipe/rub them, wash them, etc.

Just ordered the Oxine...sounds like good stuff and am going to try it. I was also told to add some Oxine to the water I use on the rare times I mist eggs (if I have to open the bator during hatching).

This came from my goose-mentor, Dennis Fuller, at Wapsi Waterfowl. I think he would appreciate me calling him wonderfully picky about everything he does. He's my goose Hero
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom