Egg cleaning question..........

Quote:
LOL, Ditto!
jumpy.gif

I just got my first hens today
celebrate.gif

I think I will be doing some cleaning of their eggs though.

Quote:
Store bought eggs are washed, I don't really know with what, but you aren't going to sell eggs with poop on them....

We just looked at some all natural or organic brown eggs in Walmart to see a comparison with ours in price and size and my main squeeze picked one out and looked at the bottom of the egg and there was poo on it.We just laughed and put it back.I was thinking it's just part of the organic marketing strategy. Will

My eggs are usually very clean, and I don't wash them before incubating, but recently I needed to incubate a few goose eggs which were very grimy.
I dunked them briefly in a bowl of warm water with about two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, rinsed them briefly under warm running water, and lightly wiped them dry, and then air dried them. I'll let you know if it worked!

Last edited:
A friend of ours has 4 chicken houses. They are egg ranchers. Each house is 400 feet long and is full of chickens. The hens are fed a special food (down low) and the roosters are fed a cheap food way up high. They put some kind of thing in the roo's nose so he can't stick his beak in the feeders that the hens use. The hens lay on a belt and the turn the auto belts on a couple times a day.
When they collect these eggs if there is poop on them they scuff it off with a sanding block. when they get all these eggs in a rack (small side down) they roll them over to the fridge and store them there til the truck comes to take them to the hatchery. They have been the farm in the past that has had the highest hatch/feed ratio with that company before too.
I would say to hatch, don't wash with water.
If I get really dirty eggs-I will wash those with water and put them in the fridge.
The rest stay on the counter in a cool place until I fill a carton and then get moved to the honor box for sale out front. I do not wash the "bloom" off of those.

After many months of not washing, it dawned on me that I disliked having unwashed eggs. Now I collect the eggs on the counter. About 1 or 2 x per week, I lightly wash them under running water with a paper towel. Then I coat them with vegetable oil to replace the bloom and stick them in the fridge.

Inchworm

Back
Top Bottom