Share your egg management tips!

How do you manage your eggs?

• Keep unwashed until use.

Votes: 82 73.9%
  • Wash immediately and refrigerate.

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • Build up a collection, then bulk wash and refrigerate.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Something else?

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters
Pics

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
Do you wash them on collection day then store in the fridge? Do you wait till you've built up a dozen, then wash and store in a clean carton? Am I overthinking this??

So far I've just been refrigerating immediately, then giving them a rinse before use. Doesn't feel very efficient, especially coming from grocery store eggs where you just crack and go.

Would love to hear what everyone else does 🙂

Attachments

• pexels-rodolfo-clix-1625385 (1).jpg
    pexels-rodolfo-clix-1625385 (1).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 921
I sell 'clean' eggs, unwashed at room temperature.
'Dirty' eggs I eat, I 'wash' them just before use.
If they are really dirty I will wash and refrigerate right away.

I don't wash eggs unless they are very dirty, then will refrigerate or use immediately because thorough washing will remove all the protective bloom(cuticle).

Eggs should be washed in 'water warmer than the egg'.

Simple physics, using colder water will cause the egg contents to contract, causing any 'germs' on exterior surface of egg shell to be pulled into the interior of egg thru the shell pores. Using warmer water will do the opposite.

I don't use any soap or other cleaning/sanitizing agent, just rotate in my hands to 'scrub' all surfaces area of egg shell. Then I air and towel dry before placing in the fridge.

If you are washing eggs for sale to the general public, other requirements may apply, so check your state regulations.

I collect them on a skelter on the counter and wash before use. I only have a handful of chickens, and my family eats a lot of eggs, so I never have enough of a backlog to need to think about bulk storage. They don't last more than a couple of days on the counter.

Simple physics, using colder water will cause the egg contents to contract, causing any 'germs' on exterior surface of egg shell to be pulled into the interior of egg thru the shell pores. Using warmer water will do the opposite.
I've been wondering how much I should care about this. Eggs are always presumed "germy" because of the risk of salmonella, so I treat them as such and cook thoroughly. If that's good enough to kill salmonella, isn't it also good enough to kill whatever else may get in through the pores?

I've been wondering how much I should care about this. Eggs are always presumed "germy" because of the risk of salmonella, so I treat them as such and cook thoroughly. If that's good enough to kill salmonella, isn't it also good enough to kill whatever else may get in through the pores?
I think she is referring to washing them with cold water, then storing them in the fridge long enough for bacteria to start to grow, not just was and eat immediately.

I collect in a basket on my counter all week, not washed (my eggs are typically pretty darn clean tbh) at the end of the week...I separate out into egg cartons. I refill my missing from the fridge (i keep 60 in the fridge at all times) with the leftovers...and take the full dozens (usually 12) to work and sell on sunday...

And start the collection process all over on sunday when I get home from work

Back
Top Bottom