Share your egg management tips!

How do you manage your eggs?

• Keep unwashed until use.

Votes: 82 73.9%
  • Wash immediately and refrigerate.

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • Build up a collection, then bulk wash and refrigerate.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Something else?

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters
If you are consistently getting dirty eggs, look at your bedding and birds. Dry housing, adequate and clean nesting keeps most eggs clean. I never wash them, but I don't eat raw eggs either.

If an egg breaks or it has been raining a week, or those darn chicks are pooping in the nest, I just store as is in the fridge and wash them before cooking.

Mrs K

I think we're going to end up storing unwashed eggs in the fridge downstairs, then bring up a dozen at a time to wash and store in the main fridge. I wish I could bring myself to eat an unwashed (clean) egg, but I can't get past this mental block. Perhaps I'll get there someday; this is still very novel for us.

What do you guys like for cartons? I bought some paper pulp ones off Amazon, and they smelt like literal death. Trying again with US made ones. I also tried hard plastic, but the eggs rattle around too much for my sanity 😬

What do you guys like for cartons? I bought some paper pulp ones off Amazon, and they smelt like literal death. Trying again with US made ones. I also tried hard plastic, but the eggs rattle around too much for my sanity 😬
I generally don't do cartons (I kept a few around in case I want to give eggs away, but those are all ones saved from grocery store purchases). I have plastic drawers and ceramic caddies, just to try and keep eggs confined to a single refrigerator shelf. No rattling with the drawers! 84 egg capacity here, though I could fit about 3 dozen more if I used some cartons as well.
egg_storage.jpg

I generally don't do cartons (I kept a few around in case I want to give eggs away, but those are all ones saved from grocery store purchases). I have plastic drawers and ceramic caddies, just to try and keep eggs confined to a single refrigerator shelf. No rattling with the drawers! 84 egg capacity here, though I could fit about 3 dozen more if I used some cartons as well.
View attachment 3665130
I REALLY like this!

We keep ours on the counter and don’t wash until ready to use, major dirty eggs, if one gets broken in the nest or it’s been raining so the Ladies drag mud into the boxes, then we wash and put in fridge. We sell our eggs unwashed and un refrigerated with a card stating this ( got farm fresh egg care cards off Amazon )
We eat a lot of eggs, but also get 45-60 a day from the girls. If no one is buying we will make a lot of quiche and omelets .

Back
Top Bottom