Egg color change???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by olivesmom, Jan 22, 2009.

1. olivesmom

olivesmom Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    We have 5 chickens one of which is an Ameracuana. We have almost always received 5 eggs a day. 4 of the eggs are in the brown family and 1 is blue/green. Recently the Ameracauna stopped laying. We knew it was her since the blue/green eggs were missing. After a few days we started getting 5 eggs again but now they are all in the brown family????

Olives Mom

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ok, that is strange. I know my EE has been on strike since the end of October.... I have never heard of their egg color changing. Maybe varying a bit in the same color, but not a complete change. I have been know to be wrong before......

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The color of the egg is the last ingredient before the egg is expelled....if a egg is layed a little sooner than normal, then the added darker or changing color would not happen.

Sometimes for various reasons, the hen will expel her egg a little early, causing the color to different than a true normal egg. (shell may be thinner also).

bigzio

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

My EE one day will lay blue eggs then next green.

5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so glad this thread was started...because I have been totally stumped as to how my BR hen is now laying an egg the same color as my cochins. Since her first molt, her eggs are now a lighter brown than when she first started laying.

6. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Hmmmmm, interesting! 2 of my BR hens lay eggs that are brown, with white sprinkles....
    What would cause this?

7. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I had a BR mix that would lay eggs like that....I'm thinking these hens are trying to confuse us---keep us on our toes, lol.

8. Barn Maid Ann

Barn Maid Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    We got our EE's as adults. They were molting when we got them and one finally layed a pale blue egg. We have two, and we have been getting a pale green egg every few days since their molt was complete. I don't know if one or both are laying, but the eggs are now always green, different shades sometimes, but we've never had a blue one again.
    Of our 3 Comets, their brown eggs vary from pale to very rich brown from day to day. And since their molt, we have had quite a few speckled ones.

I had read about someone elses EE going from green to 'pinks' and they were told the food can have an effect on their egg color. I forget now what they were told to feed them for the blue-green eggs. [​IMG] Sorry.

9. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Quote:Hi,

You are SO LUCKY, getting both colors from one hen! Enjoy! Genie

10. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

The kids love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by