Egg color change???

olivesmom

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 2, 2008
We have 5 chickens one of which is an Ameracuana. We have almost always received 5 eggs a day. 4 of the eggs are in the brown family and 1 is blue/green. Recently the Ameracauna stopped laying. We knew it was her since the blue/green eggs were missing. After a few days we started getting 5 eggs again but now they are all in the brown family????

Olives Mom

Ok, that is strange. I know my EE has been on strike since the end of October.... I have never heard of their egg color changing. Maybe varying a bit in the same color, but not a complete change. I have been know to be wrong before......

The color of the egg is the last ingredient before the egg is expelled....if a egg is layed a little sooner than normal, then the added darker or changing color would not happen.

Sometimes for various reasons, the hen will expel her egg a little early, causing the color to different than a true normal egg. (shell may be thinner also).

bigzio

I am so glad this thread was started...because I have been totally stumped as to how my BR hen is now laying an egg the same color as my cochins. Since her first molt, her eggs are now a lighter brown than when she first started laying.

We got our EE's as adults. They were molting when we got them and one finally layed a pale blue egg. We have two, and we have been getting a pale green egg every few days since their molt was complete. I don't know if one or both are laying, but the eggs are now always green, different shades sometimes, but we've never had a blue one again.
Of our 3 Comets, their brown eggs vary from pale to very rich brown from day to day. And since their molt, we have had quite a few speckled ones.

I had read about someone elses EE going from green to 'pinks' and they were told the food can have an effect on their egg color. I forget now what they were told to feed them for the blue-green eggs.
hmm.png
Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom