1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg color different than what I expected?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lsnyder6, Dec 6, 2015.

1. lsnyder6

lsnyder6 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    My Speckled Sussex have been laying for 10 months now. The three girls average just under 2 eggs per day here in Arizona. It is pretty predictable...small-medium to large brown eggs. My darkest hen (Hazel) lays the darkest eggs, and the lightest (Sunny) lays the lightest. My big hen, Big Girl, lays the biggest! Today my son went out to get the eggs (two today) and had a surprise...a white egg! Why did we get an unexpected color? Who else has got an egg color they weren't "egg"-specting??!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    MN
    Post a pic of the chicken!

3. lsnyder6

lsnyder6 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    I don't know which of my three girls laid the egg, but she was one of the three in the first photo...a Speckled Sussex. I have only had brown eggs until today.

4. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    MN
    The one on the right laid it as it has white earlobes.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on ViolinPlayer123's post. Hens with white earlobes typically lay white eggs. Hens with red earlobes typically lay brown eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by