Egg color doesn't change? Do the spots?

mysweetgypsy

Chirping
8 Years
May 1, 2011
I have a few hens (left), a BO, an EE, a BLRW, and a Columbian. I was getting tan spotted eggs from the buff, ( I caught her laying) then I found some smaller cream colored eggs, I thought they must be the columbians. But then I got different shades of very light brown, kind of cream, some with spots some with out. I'm pretty sure the BLR is not laying, and the EE is 18+ months and hasn't laid since a molt (when I bought her), I think? Sadly I lost my little buff silkie hen to a neighbors tom cat, and the girls haven't laid a single egg since she was killed. So are the spots consistent? Can I count on that as a distinguishing feature? I just want to nail down who's laying and who's not. I'll still keep them all, but I'd like to know.
smile.png

I don't know what is typical, but the spots aren't always there with my girls' eggs. Sometimes they'll have spots on them (which I like), and sometimes they don't. Egg color can actually vary too, although not usually extreme changes. For example, my BR generally lays a pinkish-tan color, but sometimes it's pretty dark pinkish and other times it's very pale. Sometimes my BO's eggs have darkish spots on them, sometimes not. The size, general shade (yellow or whitish tan vs. pinkish tan), and finish stay the same though, so I always know whose eggs are whose.

Last edited:
Some of my BPR's eggs were spotted when they first started laying. Then they became solid. Now I will occasionally get faint spots but usually I get solid light colored eggs.

I will see if I can find a couple of picts to post.

The front two (lighter) eggs are from the same BPRs that laid the spotted eggs. Sorry for the disorder, I'm still learning the new Forum stuff. ;O)

Last edited:
Thanks!! I guess I'll just have to keep sneaking up on them
big_smile.png
The pics are great!! Such pretty eggs, I like the spots too. All the eggs I've found have been cream colored more or less, so I guess they all have a very similar base color. With my luck the EE will lay cream colored eggs too, or never lay any at all
hmm.png
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom