Egg color for Green Queen (?) rooster x Prairie Bluebell and Starlight Green Eggers?

FunClucks

Crowing
Apr 8, 2022
North Alabama
So, I'm pretty sure my rooster Speckle is a Green Queen - he's a RIR mix from a hatchery, and I'm really hoping he has a blue and brown egg gene. I've test crossed him with Prairie Bluebells that lay blue, Prairie Bluebells that lay blue with the slightest tint of green (under the correct light, it's very faint), and with Starlight Green Eggers that lay green. What color eggs do you think the resulting hens would produce? I've been looking at the breeding chart, but none of them have a green egger rooster crossed with a blue egger hen. Is it possible to breed blue egg layers from this rooster (assuming I'm correct and that he is a green queen)?

Pics of my rooster at 16 weeks are attached (he's 8 months now with a 3" high comb and half inch spurs, otherwise he looks similar to how he does here). He has a black beak, black toenails, a lot of black on his breast, a green sheen on his tail.. There's a thread on here about him as a chick, if you think that would help let me know.

I think my SGE eggs will give 2nd generation green eggers per the chart below.
fb_img_1641746483576-jpg.3292022

Attachments

• 1672761197848.jpeg
    1672761197848.jpeg
    891.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220706_144455.jpg
    20220706_144455.jpg
    677.8 KB · Views: 45
So, I'm pretty sure my rooster Speckle is a Green Queen - he's a RIR mix from a hatchery, and I'm really hoping he has a blue and brown egg gene. I've test crossed him with Prairie Bluebells that lay blue, Prairie Bluebells that lay blue with the slightest tint of green (under the correct light, it's very faint), and with Starlight Green Eggers that lay green. What color eggs do you think the resulting hens would produce? I've been looking at the breeding chart, but none of them have a green egger rooster crossed with a blue egger hen. Is it possible to breed blue egg layers from this rooster (assuming I'm correct and that he is a green queen)?

From the looks of it, he looks like a production type Red cockerel, Green Queen sold by hatcheries are basically another name for Easter Egger wich are mostly bearded and with a pea comb.

1672776161815.png

Brown genetics is a polygenic trait, I beleive that at least 10 genes are responsible.

Here is the Chart you are looking for.

1672777021423.png

Last edited:
Your cockeral will have brown from the RIR that will pass to the chicks. This will "mix" with the hens coloring to cause green instead of blue. The already green egg laying hens may end up with a darker green. His passing of the blue (green from the brown) shell will be like an extra does to lessen possible brown layers as the chicks will possibly get a blue gene from each of the parents.

From the looks of it, he looks like a production type Red cockerel, Green Queen sold by hatcheries are basically another name for Easter Egger wich are mostly bearded and with a pea comb.

View attachment 3365996

Brown genetics is a polygenic trait, I beleive that at least 10 genes are responsible.

Here is the Chart you are looking for.

View attachment 3366008
Well darn. Let's see if I understand. What you're saying is, IF my rooster is a green queen (questionable), then when bred to a blue egg laying hen, all offspring will lay some version of green eggs. There's no chance of a blue egg layer (because of the multiple brown egg genes which are inherited by the progeny from the rooster).

And odds are good that since the rooster is actually some type of production brown egg layer (probable), when he's bred to a blue egg laying hen the end result would be the same as if he was a green egger rooster - all offspring will lay some shade of green eggs.

If the rooster is a production brown egg laying rooster and bred to a green egg laying hen, 50% of the eggs will be green (probably not olive since the brown from the rooster is probably not that dark), and 50% will be brown.

If the rooster is a green egger rooster, bred to a green egg laying hen, 75% of the progeny would lay green of some shade, and 25% would lay brown.

Have I understood things correctly?

The only way I'm going to breed some blue egg layers from my blue egg laying hens is to purchase a blue egg laying rooster, right?

Thank you for your help with this!!!

Well darn. Let's see if I understand. What you're saying is, IF my rooster is a green queen (questionable), then when bred to a blue egg laying hen, all offspring will lay some version of green eggs. There's no chance of a blue egg layer (because of the multiple brown egg genes which are inherited by the progeny from the rooster).

And odds are good that since the rooster is actually some type of production brown egg layer (probable), when he's bred to a blue egg laying hen the end result would be the same as if he was a green egger rooster - all offspring will lay some shade of green eggs.

This is correct.

The only way I'm going to breed some blue egg layers from my blue egg laying hens is to purchase a blue egg laying rooster, right?

That or a White Egger like Leghorns.

That or a White Egger like Leghorns.
Would that dilute the blue color further? There is a range of blue in the PBB eggs, but they are all super pale already.

Can't beat the Leghorns for production though. I get one medium-large SGE egg each day, and one large-extra large PBB egg 5-6 days of the week. Do you think adding Leghorn could increase egg size or frequency of lay?

Would that dilute the blue color further? There is a range of blue in the PBB eggs, but they are all super pale already.

Can't beat the Leghorns for production though. I get one medium-large SGE egg each day, and one large-extra large PBB egg 5-6 days of the week. Do you think adding Leghorn could increase egg size or frequency of lay?

Dilute it? Yes somewhat but still noticeable blue. and Yes the F1s will be highly prolific layers too.

This is what my starlight green rooster looks like, he is from Tractor supply last year. I have had him tested through bird IQ to test his blue egg gene - he is Heterozygous for blue - meaning he carries one copy of blue and can have a 50% chance of passing that along. Here are some fantastic charts for you - if you want to read more about them go to her website - silverhomestead

Attachments

• BreedingChart_GreenEERooster.jpg
    BreedingChart_GreenEERooster.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 24
  • BreedingChart_HomozygousBlueRooster.jpg
    BreedingChart_HomozygousBlueRooster.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 21
  • BreedingChart_OliveEggerRooster.jpg
    BreedingChart_OliveEggerRooster.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 17
  • BreedingChart_OExOe.jpg
    BreedingChart_OExOe.jpg