Egg color mystery

MadgieB

Hatching
Mar 26, 2018
Hello,
We had a small backyard flock of 3: a Barred Rock, a White Leghorn, and a Easter Egger. For awhile we got a white egg, a blueish egg, and a light brown/pinkish egg.

Then at some point, all we were getting were white eggs. But we were getting more than one per day so we thought the White Leghorn might be laying more frequently and the other two hens were slackers (even though they are only a few years old).

Here is where it gets weird! Our white Leghorn died last week and we are continuing to get white eggs. They are pure white! How is this possible and which of our remaining hens is laying them? The Barred Rock or the Easter Egger? Why would it start laying a different color egg than it used to?

Thanks!

Many eggs are a color over white pigment. That's why the inside of the eggshell is white. If the pigment isn't applied totally or incorrectly you will see white, or a lighter egg. Some causes are stress, illnesses, and some medications can cause it too.

Hello,
We had a small backyard flock of 3: a Barred Rock, a White Leghorn, and a Easter Egger. For awhile we got a white egg, a blueish egg, and a light brown/pinkish egg.

Then at some point, all we were getting were white eggs. But we were getting more than one per day so we thought the White Leghorn might be laying more frequently and the other two hens were slackers (even though they are only a few years old).

Here is where it gets weird! Our white Leghorn died last week and we are continuing to get white eggs. They are pure white! How is this possible and which of our remaining hens is laying them? The Barred Rock or the Easter Egger? Why would it start laying a different color egg than it used to?

Thanks!
Has the feed type changed due to the season, like not getting any green stuff to eat right now?.

Hello,

Thanks!
My guess would be that the Barred Rock is laying the white eggs and the Easter Egger isn't laying anything currently.
My understanding is that brown eggs are white eggs that are covered in a brown pigment late in the egg making process (but different than the pigment that Marans apply because I think their pigment can wash off), so it could be that as your Barred Rock ages (and seasonally and with variations of her diet) that the pigment is lessening, leaving you with a white egg. Blue eggs get the blue pigment earlier in the egg making process so I think the blue coloring is apparent on the inside of the egg as well. Though I suppose the Easter Egger could be laying on empty pigment supply as well.

But I am far from an expert.

Back
Top Bottom