Egg color

lizham71

Chirping
Mar 29, 2020
I have jumbo wild quail... they are six weeks old and one layer egg today... the inside of the egg is blue instead of cream... is that normal? Or does the layer carry celadon ? The outside was normal color cream with brown spots

Attachments

• 4B904A24-DA53-4520-907A-0FADEFCAC5CC.jpeg
    4B904A24-DA53-4520-907A-0FADEFCAC5CC.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 7
there was a thread about that a while back. I don't know what it was called, but i think it was pretty common for that to happen. I don't think it means they have celadon genes. But i'm not completely sure.

I have heard that eggs that are blue inside are from hens that carry one copy of the celadon gene. I have no idea if it’s true, the person I bought my celadon eggs from said the few spotted eggs she sent with the blue would be blue inside, and they were. Of the 6 spotted eggs I received, 4 hatched. One chick died, 2 slipped their bands and one is still banded. If the banded one is a hen, I’ll let you know what color her eggs are :)

Someone also suggested those could be full celadon eggs and that there is a separate gene responsible for painting or not painting the egg, however if that were the case you would think we would start to see cream colored eggs with no paint job, but maybe they have a dependent relationship, where no paint can only be expressed if they also have the celadon gene.

The long and the short of it in that thread was no one was sure, if I remember correctly.

I do get cream eggs with no paint for what its worth.

But does the hen lay cream with no paint every time, or just on occasion? because if it’s a gene, it would always be paint less, but sometimes a hen can just be startled and push one thru before it gets painted.

I’m interested to know if there are hens that lay cream paint less eggs every time. Also I mean coturnix. Other species have different normal egg types.

Back
Top Bottom