1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Egg color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by papeine, Oct 13, 2010.

1. papeine

papeine In the Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Hastings
    ok.. I am about to demonstrate my lack of knowledge with chickens. I was looking for pictures of black sex-link hens and eggs so I could have an idea of what color the eggs where.. couldn't find them in the list of breeds???
    anybody know what color the eggs are?? I am getting one to two blue eggs a day and only have one Americauna.. either she's working pretty dang hard or some one else is laying blue eggs..

2. HarryBun12

HarryBun12 Songster

Jun 28, 2009
    Black sex links lay brown eggs. Sorry no pictures. I wonder if maybe what you thought was a BSL is an EE? Lucky you to have two hens laying blue eggs.

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I have 2 Black Stars ( or Sex Links ) They both lay a light brown egg with a very heavy bloom coat. Making them look pinkish light brown with a sheen or shine to them. Thats the best way I can discrible them. Pictures would not be able to capture this. Hope this helps.[​IMG]

4. papeine

papeine In the Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Hastings
    Quote:I don't think so... I ordered 2 black-sex linked chickens... and 2 americanua, (one died as a chick) so I have 12 total..3 production reds, 2 buff oringtons, 2 astrolops, 2 barred rocks, sex-links and the one americauna (my spelling of these may be off a bit).. I am getting one blue egg a day... I though americaunas only layed a couple of times a week...

5. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Songster

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    [​IMG]

One RIR egg and one BSL egg.

6. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

7. vatterpa

vatterpa Songster

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    Mine are brown. But it is possible that they were crossed with an americauna. My "sexlinks" were ummm NOT!!! I have out of 8 "hens" 3 roosters.

8. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Songster

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:I don't think so... I ordered 2 black-sex linked chickens... and 2 americanua, (one died as a chick) so I have 12 total..3 production reds, 2 buff oringtons, 2 astrolops, 2 barred rocks, sex-links and the one americauna (my spelling of these may be off a bit).. I am getting one blue egg a day... I though americaunas only layed a couple of times a week...

If your getting one blue a day, then it's your "americauna". If you ordered from a hatchery (MyPetChicken, McMurray, etc.) then they are mutts with the blue egg gene, AKA Easter Eggers (EEs). My 2 EEs typically lay 4-6 eggs a week each, sometimes one everyday for 7 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by