1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KellyandKatie, Dec 31, 2010.

1. KellyandKatie

KellyandKatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I debated where to post this- I hope I picked right:)

So, I have some really nice laying birds, and am not real concerned with high production, the kids and I have fun with them in the yard, and I am looking to add some color to our egg carton palet.

We have some pretty blue eggs, and some shades of light browns and pink-ish off whites
    but I know there are some nice breeds that lay dark chocolate eggs
    and I remember reading about some speckled eggs I want to say

what are some breeds I may want to look at? Or maybe a link that has an egg color chart?

Thank you for your time !

2. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Welsummers and Marans are both "dark egg" breeds. I think the breed list here on BYC lets you sort by egg color.

3. KellyandKatie

KellyandKatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    thank you! Found it!
    I did not see any spotted or speckled listed... maybe it is just a quirk any breed could have, and not really a standard thing?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Spots and Speckles often show up in any popular hatchery/production laying breed, yes, and they also show up a lot in Marans and Welsummers.

The dark eggs are from Marans and Welsummers, however you are not going to find any truly dark and beautiful eggs from hatcheries. . . The search and money for breeder quality Marans is WELL worth it though! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by