Egg Color

weebles&wobblesmom

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
I have a question. I have some Buff Orpingtons and some Easter Egg chickens that are just now old enough to lay. I have been finding white eggs out side or on the floor. I'm assuming they're from my newer babies because my yearlings all lay in the nesting boxes.

My question is, why are they white? Aren't Buffs suppose to lay brown eggs and the Easter eggs are suppose to be colored. Is it possible they will change as they start laying more?

They have also been weird. 1 looked like a wrinkled prune and yesterday I had 1 without a shell. They just started laying about a week ago.

Again, unless something is making my older chickens lay outside, I am assuming it's my babies.

Thats for the help.

Hi
Usually it is the case that when a hen just starts laying her reproductive system has to get into swing. For the first month to two months your hens might be laying slightly funny eggs. I wouldn't worry. When we first had our first weeks eggs all sense were double yolkers. I hope this helps :)

Yeah, it sometimes takes a bit for a pullet to get the kinks worked out of her internal egg producing factory. Most pretty much get it right immediately but some take a while. I would not stress over it. If it is still going on in two to three weeks, then get back to us.

If they are white, they are coming from your Easter Egger, not the Buff Orp. I can go into genetics of you wish, but there is no way to tell what color of egg an Easter Egger will lay. They are not a breed but are a mixture of chickens. They do not have pure genetics.

The base egg color will not change. Egg shell color can get lighter over time as a hen uses up pigment, but this is a long slow process. When a pullet starts to lay or right after a molt is when hen will lay her darkest egg. I've had brown egg layers lay pretty light eggs just before a molt.

I have 5 Buff Orpington pullets (at least that's what they look like to me!), and I'm pretty sure the smaller three are laying white eggs and the larger two lay brown eggs. That seems to jibe with what the original poster stated, with her pullets laying white eggs as well. Has anyone else experienced Orpingtons laying white eggs?

Back
Top Bottom