Egg colors can change?

Siera

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 3, 2012
Hi -- I have one Silkie that is about 7 1/2 months old, along with two pullets - a frizzle fleur about 4 1/2 months old and a mille fleur about 4 months old. The silkie started laying middle of January, pretty consistently: one egg a day. She took a break a few weeks ago and, I'm presuming, laid another egg yesterday. However, this egg is a light cream color whereas the first ones she laid (I'm guessing a little over a dozen) were brown. Can a chicken's egg color change, or might the frizzle fleur be the layer of this most recent one? I'm new to chickens so I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

Eggs can lighten during the laying cycle and be darker again at the beginning, but shouldn't change colors completely and shouldn't really be lighter at the beginning of a laying cycle. Are you sure of the age on your other pullets? Can you post any pictures of your eggs?

Here's a pic:

The one on the left is the last egg she laid from the last batch, about 2 weeks ago. The one on the right is the one I collected yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom