Egg colouring for hatching

Jetfisk

Chirping
Jan 31, 2020
Hjørring, Denmark
Hello everybody

I have a quick question about the selection of eggs for breeding.

I’ve just purchased 60 Maran eggs from different tribes. But I noticed that the colouring differs a lot.

Does the egg colour have something to do with the offspring? Will a chicken hatched from a light egg be more disposed to lay lighter eggs as well? Or is it the same when they are from the same tribe?

Both parents are Maran. But like my own Marans the egg colouring swings - some are light brown and others are dark brown, even though they are from the same tribe.

But I don't know if I should choose the darkest eggs or if the chickens will have the same genes whether they come from a lighter or a darker egg?

Egg color is pretty much selectable in breeding. As hysop noted, the rooster has a play, and he doesn't lay eggs, so you won't know exactly what his contribution is. But if you select the darkest eggs for hatching, grow those chicks up to layers and roos, breed them then select their darkest eggs, you will be on your way to darker eggs.

It took me only about three generations to select out runner ducks with dark blue eggs, from a flock with pearl to medium-blue eggs.

Egg color is pretty much selectable in breeding. As hysop noted, the rooster has a play, and he doesn't lay eggs, so you won't know exactly what his contribution is. But if you select the darkest eggs for hatching, grow those chicks up to layers and roos, breed them then select their darkest eggs, you will be on your way to darker eggs.

It took me only about three generations to select out runner ducks with dark blue eggs, from a flock with pearl to medium-blue eggs.
Thanks for the answer. I will go for the darkest eggs then and maybe breed on them next year :)

Back
Top Bottom