Egg colours. First gen, second gen

Radrussie

Chirping
Jul 26, 2022
Hi

I have a easter egger flock. I have what I believe to be a black cooper maran rooster.

I have been hatching my green eggs and have now received my first egg from this batchs offspring.

Image 1 : offspring green with brown spots.
Image 2: is the egg colour she was hatched from.

Would you call this first gen olive?

Attachments

• IMG-20240327-WA0025.jpg
    IMG-20240327-WA0025.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-20240327-WA0023.jpg
    IMG-20240327-WA0023.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 17
Fantastic. Could I expect the other 3 hens to lay the same colour
They might lay darker or lighter eggs.

Depending on their mother's genetics, some of them might lay brown eggs instead of any shade of olive/green/blue.

I think there is a good chance that the others will lay eggs of a similar color, but if you are making any plans that require the eggs to be a certain color, I would wait to see the eggs and be sure.

Fantastic. Could I expect the other 3 hens to lay the same colour
An Easter Egger is not a breed, it is more of a type. They are not necessarily pure for the blue egg gene. Pure means both genes at that gene pair are "blue". The blue egg gene is dominant so if just one of the genes at that gene pair is a "blue" then the hen will lay some shade of blue egg.

What that means is that if the hen that laid a blue has two "blue" genes at that gene pair then all her daughters will get a "blue" egg gene. With that Marans rooster as the father there is an excellent chance the pullet will lay an egg pretty close to that shade. You can get some shade variations but the odds are it will be pretty close. But if the hen has only one "blue" gene and one "Not-blue" gene at that gene pair half of her daughters should lay an olive egg like that but the other half will lay a dark brown egg.

Unless you know the genetic background of an EE pretty well when it comes to the blue egg gene you don't get guarantees as to what you will get. If the pullet hatched from a blue egg then your chances are at least 50-50 and could be much better.

Good luck!

I went thru this, using blue eggs from EE hens and a Wellsummer cock. Very varied results.
It wasn't until I got cream legbar hens and a marans cock that I got good olive egg from the female offspring....sexlinked too!

That would also depend on the colour of the eggs they hatched from.
Hens hatched from green eggs. I have 2 green layers. Only hatched out there eggs. And only have the BCM rooster.

Offspring 4. Are slightly different looking in their appearance:

1x looks more like a BCM
2 x plain black
1x beared black

Would this make a difference?

I went thru this, using blue eggs from EE hens and a Wellsummer cock. Very varied results.
It wasn't until I got cream legbar hens and a marans cock that I got good olive egg from the female offspring....sexlinked too!
Wow. Love that. I am aiming for a rainbow basket. So very happy with this new addition. I have white and cream eggs already from other hens (not ee).

My EE hens are beared and would like this trait in my flock. So have been focusing on thier eggs.

Have also got 4x salmon faverolle x EE hens. Believe these are a sex linked breed. That I am expecting cream eggs from.

So. Guessing my next question is should I keep them with my BCM rooster as well. Or get an EE rooster.

Attachments

• IMG-20240318-WA0033.jpg
    IMG-20240318-WA0033.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-20240321-WA0066.jpg
    IMG-20240321-WA0066.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 12
should I keep them with my BCM rooster as well. Or get an EE rooster.
With EEs you never really know about their ancestry/genetics, so using a male whose parents both were blue/green eggers would bring better results.

Crossing cream colour eggers with a BCM rooster will usually just result in their offspring's eggs to be several shades of brown instead of olive.

A CCL or true Ameraucana rooster would serve your purpose much better.

And then cross this offspring with a BCM or good Welsummer rooster again

Back
Top Bottom