egg ..cooler?

I guess I don't see the relevance of knowing [which I didn't] that 77Horse is a very young person. Her post didn't say "I'm a young person & probably have this all wrong". S/He stated her answer very confidently and forcefully as if s/he knew s/he was right.
If I was the OP I'd be glad someone followed up with better info. What if the OP had assumed 77Horse was giving good advice, didn't check back & started storing eggs that way?
People post questions hoping for useful answers. I think anyone, young or old, has a responsibility to know what they're talking about before they answer a question.

Quote:
What Silkie said.

Saw an answer ... it was wrong, and appeared to be a misunderstanding. I corrected it. No worries.

Young people will get to be old people. I would swap my right answer for her age any day
smile.png

Quote:
The only reason I said that was because I didn't want people coming down too hard on her for a obviously wrong and misunderstood answer. We can be pretty hard and nasty in our responses sometimes and I wanted her to be cut some slack. It's fine to point out to 77 horses that she was wrong, just wanted it to be done in a kinder manner than it's done sometimes. I'd like this forum to be a learning place for all ages.

Quote:
The only reason I said that was because I didn't want people coming down too hard on her for a obviously wrong and misunderstood answer. We can be pretty hard and nasty in our responses sometimes and I wanted her to be cut some slack. It's fine to point out to 77 horses that she was wrong, just wanted it to be done in a kinder manner than it's done sometimes. I'd like this forum to be a learning place for all ages.

I hope I was decently kind
smile.png

If anyone was offended, I apologise.

Anyway...

I wanted to throw out there that I use a regular cooler (like the beverage type) in my basement, put ziploc bags of ice in the bottom, a towel on top of that, then the eggs (fat side up!!) in paper cartons on top of the towels. I bought an inexpensive thermometer that has a humidity reader on it at TSC to make sure the humidity was good; when it was low, I put a cup of water in the corner of the cooler. Works great, it's easy, and hatchability was awesome for me!

Quote:
Sounds like that would work too.

The OP was asking about a system for regular use, but for occassional use your suggestion sounds great. Keep an eye on the temp .... above 50 and below 60 would be best.

With ice in the bottom, you probably can dispense with the water cup too.

Quote:

I hope I was decently kind
smile.png

If anyone was offended, I apologise.

Yes, you were decently kind.
smile.png

Don't think you have any need to apologize.

Yep, I use a thermometer with a humidity percentage, so I'm aware of the temps/humidity. In summer, the humidity gets on the low side, and I add a cup of water then.
smile.png
This IS my system for regular use! I'm a big fan of....simple.
big_smile.png

Quote:
If you like simple, then you would luuuuuurve me
lau.gif

I have an advantage. The system I originally described was easy for me to suggest, as it is exactly the equipment I use to keep brewing beer cool in Oklahoma summers. So for me ... no cost, I have all the stuff I would need.

The external Ranco controller is used for the beer fridge, the incubator and sundry other uses. Makes the investment a very reasonable one.

Back
Top Bottom