Egg cracked very badly.. help please!

rileenicole

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2023
Egg was under a broody hen, not sure what happened. Egg should have no longer than a week left. It's very developed with "scaly" legs and it's fully fuzzed.. Lots of movement. I spritz some warn water on it because it was very dried out. 2nd pic shows a slit in the membrane. I don't think it's a pip. It keeps drying out very quickly and I bumped the humidity up already. What do I do?

Attachments

• 20231106_194849.jpg
    20231106_194849.jpg
    590.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20231106_194914.jpg
    20231106_194914.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 4
The guide to assisted hatching may help a bit:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

It mentions using coconut oil to keep the membrane moist, when trying to help a chick to hatch. That might also work in your case, where the chick is not ready to hatch yet but does have the membrane exposed.

I think the egg is in an incubator? If so, then yes it would be good to keep the humidity as high as you reasonably can. I would probably put a wet cloth or wet sponge near the egg (but not touching it), rather than spritzing the egg itself with water.

The guide to assisted hatching may help a bit:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

It mentions using coconut oil to keep the membrane moist, when trying to help a chick to hatch. That might also work in your case, where the chick is not ready to hatch yet but does have the membrane exposed.

I think the egg is in an incubator? If so, then yes it would be good to keep the humidity as high as you reasonably can. I would probably put a wet cloth or wet sponge near the egg (but not touching it), rather than spritzing the egg itself with water.
Thank you! I'll let you know how it it goes within the next while!

You can put Vaseline on the membrane as it keeps it moist longer. Then I would take kitchen wrap and put it over the cracked area just to help keep air off of membrane
Once baby is ready ti hatch you can remove the plastic wrap
I’m guessing you will need to assist this one

Back
Top Bottom