Egg decoy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alaskachick, Jul 19, 2010.

1. alaskachick

alaskachick Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    My chickens are coming closer to 20 weeks. They are all the same age from the same hatch. The have never laid in their nesting boxes that we have provided for them. I am wondering if I should put eggs in the nest so they will get the idea. I have been worrried about doing this for fear they they will get curious and break the egg and then get an appetite for eggs. What do you think?

2. Faracas

Faracas In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Tacoma
    I vote for golf balls. My silkie just went broody on a clutch of them [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I use golf balls too.

I wouldn't use real eggs - get wooden or ceramic ones, or even fill plastic Easter eggs with sand to weight them down, then glue the halves together.

4. zDoc

zDoc Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Farmington NM
    Quote:[​IMG] Too funny! it's gunna take a while to hatch those.... [​IMG]

5. EconMan

EconMan Chirping

Jul 14, 2010
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I can't get my EE to lay in the nest boxes! I've used golf balls and moved her eggs to different nests for a little while before harvesting them and still can't get her to lay in a nest. She's been laying very well for two weeks. Still hoping she'll come around. I also have three other hens that should start laying any day now...hope they figure out the nest boxes and don't lay in the corner of the coop.

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    She might when the others do. Once a while, even now, I will find one in a weird place, but they really like to lay where someone else has thought a good place. I have 4 nest boxes open, they strongly prefer two of them, and will lay in the third, under dire circumstances. They never lay in the last one.

mk

7. okiechicken

okiechicken In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    i bought some wooden eggs from hobby lobby. its funny to see them nose them around like they are 'real'.

ive still found an egg or two on the floor of the coop. hopefully the others will get the picture as they start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by