Egg disease or???? Please help

AidanOshields

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2020
Alright something weird is happening to my duck eggs ? I’m very new to incubating and I’ve hatched probably 30 ducklings so far around the 20 egg I had put it in lock down and the next day I looked at it and the baby pipped the egg bit the piece looked weird so I took it out and fluids had basically hardened around the part of the egg were it pipped so I candled it to see if the baby was moving, it wasn’t so I scratched of the egg shell and it was gone I didn’t think much of it because it was the first one. But today I had 3 ducks supposed to hatch ( that’s a lot because I only have 3 hens) and two of them pipped and both of their beaks where sticking out but one wasn’t moving so I took it out and got the flash light and saw that it looked like the Same thing hard fluids but around the babies body.(i feel it’s important to mention the fluids color was yellow and before they hatched there air pocket turned yellow but I know a week ago I candled those eggs and they looked perfect the air pocket was not yellow) I told myself I’ll leave it one more day if still nothing I’ll chunk it. the other baby was doing very well though he was loud and proud moving around and trying to get out so I let him be. The next day I came back the other egg still wasn’t moving and when I touched it no response so I chunked it but then when I checked in the “healthy” one the same thing happened!
He wasn’t talking or moving any more so I pulled the egg out and hardens fluids were around his body he didn’t respond to me touching his beak either come do find out he died too. That same day I checked the other egg the air pocket was yellow and I could see his beak trying to internal pip I sat there for a few minutes but he wasn’t moving either so I made the decision ( I never normally do this) and cracked the egg my self he did break the the membrane inside the egg but hard fluids had developed all around his face so I chunked him to.

if I’m doing something very wrong please tell me. Ive never heard of anything like this ?
Sorry for no pictures this was a few days ago if it happens again I’ll post a picture

The humidity in that Hatcher stays in between 70 percent and has reached up to 82 percent never seen it got higher and the tempature stays in between 99.5 to 103 is the highest it’s ever been

And on the humidity I’ve asked a lot of people about that saying can the humidity ever be to high and they say no ?

And on the humidity I’ve asked a lot of people about that saying can the humidity ever be to high and they say no ?
Wow, it can most definitely be too high. The eggshell is porous and a certain percentage of water must evaporate through it. If not, the baby drowns or grows too big to move and zip. I incubate dry until the last week and have much better hatch rates that way. There is a great article about it here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubation-humidity.73386/bookmark

Last edited:
Wow, it can most definitely be too high. The eggshell is porous and a certain percentage of water must evaporate through it. If not, the baby drowns or grows too big to move and zip. I incubate dry until the last week and have much better hatch rates that way. There is a great article about it here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubation-humidity.73386/bookmark
Wait ? So you don’t have any humidity until the last week of incubating ?
I work a lady who hatched eggs daily(its her business) and she told me during incubating the temperature doesn’t have to be super exact ( I mean 99.2-99.8 ) but that it’s the humidity that kills them and she said to for incubating to keep humidity at 55-60 and at hatching do 60-70 percent humidity the only reason I could think of her saying that if it’s false is that she doesn’t have any ducks only chickens and turkeys. If so is there that big of a difference in incubating the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom