Egg Disposal

Violet22

Songster
10 Years
Jul 3, 2009
Central Coast, CA
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought maybe it would fall under maintenance? It's ducks too, but since it deals with eggs, I thought chicken people could help too! Right now I have 10 adult ducks, 9 babies and more on the way. I plan on keeping a total of about 25. I have too many eggs to deal with. I am not religious enough about picking them up daily, so I can't collect them and donate them, because I don't know how long they have been there, and wouldn't want to give any one bad eggs, and also it is just one more thing to do which I don't have time for. I don't eat very many, so I end up with tons of eggs. In the winter it wasn't much of a problem, but now with the heat, if I collect them and put them in the trash, they stink to high heaven and attract flies.
My can is near the front of the house, so it's not very nice when people come to the door, it gets picked up once a week, but it only takes a day or two for the smell to start. I don't want to smell it and have the flies at the barn either.

I can't just toss them out on the property, I know they will get eaten, but I don't want to make my place that attractive to predators. I was wondering if something like one of the underground doggie waste "septic" systems would work....if it would contain the smell and the eggs would leach out in the ground ok. Something like that would make things a lot easier, I could just throw the eggs in there and not have to worry about anything.

Stupid idea?? Any other ideas???

Thank you!

Maybe you could gather them every other day and just scramble them and feed them to the chicks and ducks. It's good for them and will be good for you as a way to dispose of them with no smell. You could also put them into a sink full of water. If they float, they are no good. If they don't float, donate them
idunno.gif
But that's my best guess.

Do you have a pond?
If you do, does it have fish in it ?

We throw a lot of infertile / half developed in shell chicks/ dead at hatch point in for our fish to eat, they love them. Bang the fat end of the shell on something hard to crack it then toss the egg high up into the air, impact with the water shatters the egg (usually) and the fish feast on whatever's there. Even if you have no fish, water snails and all sorts of pond bugs will clean the lot up.

If you don't have a pond, cook them and feed them to you birds or wild birds.

Apparently you can also use them for conditioning your hair and tightening your skin - because you're worth it
wink.png

Anytime I get a few 'questionable' eggs, they go down the garbage disposale, followed by running water. Then I do some dishes by hand in the sink so anything left in the U bend gets washed away by hot soapy water.

This might not work for you if you have tons of eggs. Maybe you could bury them?

I got tired of selling eggs myself. I fry them up 3 dozen at a time and feed them to the chickens over the course of several days. I also clean and crush the shells and give them to the chickens too in a free choice bowl.

Yup, cook 'em and feed 'em back to the birds. Free protein! Seems silly to waste it
smile.png

If you're afraid of having some real "moldy oldies" among 'em, do the float test first and discard any questionable ones.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Thanks everyone!! I do feel bad just throwing them away, and cooking would be a great way to get rid of some. I could bury them, but something would dig them up and eat them. I've buried stuff before, and that happens. I can't dig deep enough in my soil to put it down far enough. I could dig one big hole, that is why I was wondering if some sort of thing like a small septic system would work.......make something along the lines of the doggie doolies and add stuff to compost them so they would leach into the ground.
Cooking would be the best, I will do that, but I know there will be times I won't be able to get to that.
I appreciate all the ideas! I'll just keep hoping some one comes up with birth (or egg!) control for ducks!
smile.png

cook em up for the birds.

Allthough I do love the idea of skipping eggs on the pond.

Should I do this with a dozen that someone laid a shell-less egg on and soaked in yolk? THey are all crusted and covered in straw, it happened yesterday while I was at work and I just grabbed them all last night and put them in a bucket, not sure what to do with the mess!

Back
Top Bottom