Egg drought!

Jul 3, 2018
Ohio
My 13 year old layers have produced 7-13 eggs for me daily since last August when they started laying. Back in July i introduced the new birds, 4 pullets and 3 cockerels from a recent hatch. Everything seems to be going fine but all of a sidden i have more ladies and less eggs than ever. 4 a day over the last week. I always have 2-4 fresh water options, numerous feeders and plenty of treats for everyone. I am pretty sure the pullets are not laying yet but the older girls have been consistent for awhile.

What could be going on?

I did have to remove 2 nestboxes as they were not up to my “code” anymore. They still have 4 perfectly good nesting boxes and as soon as a find a good match for another set i will replace the 2 with 2-4 more. Could the nest box be affecting it or is it just a slump? Also it’s been randomly warm for this time in Ohio?! Don’t want to miss something if there is a real issue going on.

My 13 year old layers have produced 7-13 eggs for me daily since last August when they started laying. Back in July i introduced the new birds, 4 pullets and 3 cockerels from a recent hatch. Everything seems to be going fine but all of a sidden i have more ladies and less eggs than ever. 4 a day over the last week. I always have 2-4 fresh water options, numerous feeders and plenty of treats for everyone. I am pretty sure the pullets are not laying yet but the older girls have been consistent for awhile.

What could be going on?

I did have to remove 2 nestboxes as they were not up to my “code” anymore. They still have 4 perfectly good nesting boxes and as soon as a find a good match for another set i will replace the 2 with 2-4 more. Could the nest box be affecting it or is it just a slump? Also it’s been randomly warm for this time in Ohio?! Don’t want to miss something if there is a real issue going on.
Four nest boxes is plenty for 17 layers.
If your hens are a year old and you are in Ohio, they are likely beginning to moult. That will reduce egg production.
Do you see more feathers in the coop and run than normal?
If they have begun moulting, I would switch them over to a higher protein food. A complete ration with 18-20% protein.
I feed Flock Raiser (20%) with oyster shell on the side. I've seen a reduction in eggs but not by much and my flock is definitely in the moulting process.

Four nest boxes is plenty for 17 layers.
If your hens are a year old and you are in Ohio, they are likely beginning to moult. That will reduce egg production.
Do you see more feathers in the coop and run than normal?
If they have begun moulting, I would switch them over to a higher protein food. A complete ration with 18-20% protein.
I feed Flock Raiser (20%) with oyster shell on the side. I've seen a reduction in eggs but not by much and my flock is definitely in the moulting process.
One of my yearling hens is moulting but she is really the only one. The younger pullets are in a second moult of their baby feathers as they are just now 15/16 weeks. I will look closer but Hazel seems to be the only one who i know is not laying due to that issue.

One of my yearling hens is moulting but she is really the only one.
How many months old are they?
Laying can stop before feathers fall due to shortening days,
the timing of molting and cessation of lay are just coincidental,
and most birds don't dramatically drop a bunch of feathers all at once.

But yeah, egg drought here too :(
Hatched late this year so pullets are still month or more from onset of lay.

Back
Top Bottom