egg drying out during hatching?? help needed asap!!

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
5 out of 6 eggs hatched with no problem (2 monday, three yesterday) the 6th egg pipped yesterday morning but doesnt seem to be getting very far. its zipped around and has a huge hole in the shell (you can see foot body and beak) but the mum will no longer sit on the egg and it seems to be drying out fast (i think the shell is now sticking to the poor chick)
should i intervene, and if so how? ive tried putting it back under mum but shes up and about with the other 5 now
sad.png

what do i do? the poor thing its tweeting away but its mum isnt listening!

OK I have done this a million times most recently just the other day because eggs that were hatching had baby red ants crawling out of them. Take a glass of warm water and a tweezers. gently peel away the top part of the shell, after dip your finger in the warm water and gently dab it on the membrane surrounding the stuck chick. That will help it enough to get out on it's own. Just make sure you don't get the chicks face wet and make sure the membrane is nice and wet but not dripping wet. Good luck
big_smile.png

I had six born on Sat but needed to help one that was getting nowhere on Monday...chick is still doing OK although slower to drink and eat than the others. I have it separated by a screen in the bin as the others wanted to peck it. Mine was pretty loose in the shell but stuck to the membrane on the shoulder and the side of it's head so it could not zip. I used bandage scissors (one blunt end and one pointed end blade) and just cut the shell off. It had already absorbed the yolk, and detached the umbilical cord.

I use warm water and a q-tip to dampen the membrane and gently remove it from the chick. once the membrane is moist let the chick come out of the egg on its own. be careful not to get his face wet. good luck!!!

ok tried the wetting it a tiny bit and it got further but all the other chicks are now picking at it and theres blood?
should i take the egg/chick away and let it hatch 'in peace' or is this likely to cause more problems when i try to put it back under mum to dry out?

Back
Top Bottom