egg eater in the making or some other reason..holey eggs

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
for the past few weeks we've noticed some of the eggs have a single hole punched through the shell at one end (but not deep enough to puncture the membrane). its always at the big end and always in our 'white' shelled eggs.
would a chicken really poke a hole in her egg and not eat it? or could it be some other cause?

i thought perhaps the eggs were coming out and falling to hard but arent they rubbery when first laid then harden up? these holes are defintaly made afterwards and doesnt have cracks as if it was dropped..just a perfect little hole in the shell!

Sounds like an egg eater.

I've found many eggs like that off and on for a few weeks....after paying close attention and spending alot of time out in the coop, I found out that it was one of the younger roos going up into the nest boxes and doing it. Sometimes he would completely break them and others it was like he just would put a beak hole in them....couldn't get him to quit either
sad.png

This would be the hen, I know I had a hen who was notorious for eating and pecking a "small hole" in all of her eggs.

I would look over their diet and make sure that they are getting everything they need. Try your best to stop it, you don't want it to become a habit with them
smile.png

Best of luck
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom