egg eater?? maybe

Fowl97

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Iraq
okay i havent posted in here in ages. 1 have four hens and before their first moult i was getting 4 a day no matter what. now after the moult there is on rir who is being a little s@!#. we went away for a week and i got home yesterday. 1 egg
sad.png
all week i tried to grab it the rir went crazy and pecked my head 2 times and my hand 2 or 3 times. why would she be so protective of an egg that isnt hers. and would that mean an eater?? i hope not....
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

I don't know about the egg eating. You need to set a egg trap if you want to know that for sure. (put some food color in one) She might be just a nutty RIR or maybe she's broody. Either way, put on a work glove before you go after the next egg so you don't get pecked. Sometimes when I forget my gloves, I pull my hand up into my coat sleeve before I put it under the hen, then grab the egg. My little 6 year old daughter came up with that trick!

Lisa

she wasnt on it was the thing she was down in tthe run and jumped in and pecked me and my head she wasnt near it from before and if it isnt an eater that what is it??

I doubt the pecking had anything to do with egg eating. They don't have very long memories. Maybe she just didn't recognize you.

Since they just finished a molt they may have come to that time in their lives when they will lay fewer, but usually larger, eggs. That's how it went with mine after the last molt this winter.

Back
Top Bottom