Egg Eater-Need Advice on How to Cull

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mylilchix, Apr 27, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I've discovered my buff brahma is eating eggs left behind by her fellow hens!! [​IMG] I want to cull her, but I don't know the best way to do it. This is my first time having to do so. What's the best way to put her out of my misery? Don't plan on eating her either (but that's a story for another day).

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    There are probably other ways to break an egg eater other than culling them. [​IMG]

3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Ummm....IMO, not a good idea to push your problem of an egg eater off on someone else...

But yes, there are easier ways to deal with them other than culling. You can collect often...call in help from neighbors if need be (that's what I did when I had the problem). Feed more protein; that's often the issue. Give your girls more things to do to take their minds off of it and "find a new hobby," put curtains over your nest boxes; often, out of sight is out of mind.

Best of luck!

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have heard if you fill an egg with mustard they should stop.

6. mylilchix

I also discovered that she has a VERY bad case of bumble foot today. I don't want to try to treat both issues, so I'd rather cull.

Sonja

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    A sometimes necessary unpleasant task. I frankly use a .22 at short range and is quick and decisive. Quick decapitation is also a technique considered to be over and done without a lot of suffering.

Not a nice job, but whatever technique u use make it a quick one.

8. Milliestwo

Milliestwo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2008
    [​IMG]

Instead of culling her why not donate her to a petting farm or zoo for children? or push come to shove a rescue league.
    If none of these idea's work for you then let her free range and a hawk or great horned owl or bobcat or coyote or neighbors dogs can do the culling for you.
    [​IMG]
    There is no easy way to cull a chicken that dosen't have some sort of an issue attached to it.
    I hope that one of the post's has an answer for your problem.

Good luck
    Milliestwo

9. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    well in my opinion it is better to do the deed and have peace of mind the chicke is not suffering
    letting the wild animals do something that you as the owner of the chicken should do is not humane either
    sorry for your problem but to live is to have to do things unpleasant

10. mylilchix

Quote:Thanks for your insight. If she didn't have bumblefoot on top of everything I'd try to help cure the problem. This is the last thing in the world I'd like to do, but she seems to be in a lot of pain. I think one of the reasons she started eating eggs was because she doesn't want to walk around, so she's sitting in the nest box. I considered taking her out into the woods and letting a fox take care of her, but I don't want to give him the taste of chicken. I think hubby will take care of her when he gets home [​IMG].

Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by