Egg Eater troubles

helorugger

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 14, 2013
I had to thin my flock because I had a couple aggressive egg eaters.

Now I think I still have one more so I tried something I read online. I blew out an egg and filled it with mustard and put it back in a nesting box. They said that the flavor of the mustard would make the birds associate a bad taste with eggs. (I even used horseradish mustard to ensure it would be unappealing.)

This morning I went out and other than a faint odor from the mustard, there is no sign of the egg.

I am wondering what in the world these chickens won't eat if they devoured every speck of that egg...

Does anyone else have an eater that they have successfully broken of the habit?

Thanks!

i had one once i could not stop her she even got some other hens doing it i knew i couldnt stop the one that was eating the eggs somthing had to change so i sat out in my coop found them in the act i took then to the old choping block they went in my freezer i tryed every thing i could think of nothing work she had half of my flock doing it so i lost half of my flock that year

Six actually have gone in the freezer. I was hoping that if it was just one more, maybe I could re-train it. I don't know if I want to try the soap egg or just cut my losses.

the hen that is pecking the eggs can get the other ones to do it as well i would just cut my losses that is what i ended up having to do i wish i had a better answer for you

Back
Top Bottom