1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg eater, what can I do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by harleyjo, Jan 10, 2011.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I have 15 layers. 2 buff orps, 2 australorps and 11 Black sex links. I rely on these eggs for food and I have several people wanting to buy them from me. I have suspected for a few weeks that I have an egg eater and today I caught her. One of my BSL was eating an egg in the feed bucket they sometimes lay in. I pulled her out of the bucket and since I have never culled a chicken before just put her back with the rest of the flock.

I am getting a new batch of layers started this spring but intend to keep my current group until the new ones start to lay. What can I do to discourage this behavior?

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    you can fill an egg with mustard, dish soap (seventh gen is edible) or anything else yucky, but remember that if the others notice and start you may end up replacing the whole flock.

I had one do that last spring, she liked the mustard (crazy hen!) but not the dish soap! she stopped and is still part of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by