Egg Eater!

Cee

Songster
6 Years
Nov 3, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
I have an egg eater and I can't figure out who's doing it! They all look alike, and I gather eggs frequently but every couple days I am short eggs or find something like the picture below. I don't want the rest of the girls to start doing it too. I need advice please and thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_3017.jpg
    IMG_3017.jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 20
What does their diet consist of? Mine eat eggs if they get low on calcium - like when they lay an egg and it cracks on the golf balls I keep in the nests for my youngsters, they just eat the goop and egg shells afterwards.

Lots of protein and the correct amount of calcium can stop a lot of egg eating problems.

This is a tough issue. My birds are in an area that I think is too small for them and they get bord. So they wait for the nesting bird to finish, not even wait, then peck and peck until they break the egg. Then it's a frezy and they eat the shells too. They have oyster shell and high quality feed. I use fake eggs and have a few good "hits" on those. Also, I think that when a egg is laid and cracks, the girls go nuts once they figure out the egg is cracked and leaking. I am considering a rollout nesting box, but they are expensive. I'm building a bigger coop and run, so not ready to spend that money on the box. There is a guy on here jthorton who has made a few
Here's one thread that may help or lead to other threads. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/nest-box-size.1214788/page-2#post-19384978

What does their diet consist of? Mine eat eggs if they get low on calcium - like when they lay an egg and it cracks on the golf balls I keep in the nests for my youngsters, they just eat the goop and egg shells afterwards.

Lots of protein and the correct amount of calcium can stop a lot of egg eating problems.
I have them eating all flock because of cockerels, and ducks living with the pullets.
They have oyster shell on the side and they do eat a lot of that. Their shells are quite strong.

They

I do gather 3 times a day or more if I can.
I wonder how you do a egg filled with mustard?
Use needle or ice pick to punch small hole at each end. Blow inside into bowl for use. Use hypodermic needle to inject mustard.

Last edited:
This is a tough issue. My birds are in an area that I think is too small for them and they get bord. So they wait for the nesting bird to finish, not even wait, then peck and peck until they break the egg. Then it's a frezy and they eat the shells too. They have oyster shell and high quality feed. I use fake eggs and have a few good "hits" on those. Also, I think that when a egg is laid and cracks, the girls go nuts once they figure out the egg is cracked and leaking. I am considering a rollout nesting box, but they are expensive. I'm building a bigger coop and run, so not ready to spend that money on the box. There is a guy on here jthorton who has made a few
Here's one thread that may help or lead to other threads. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/nest-box-size.1214788/page-2#post-19384978
I will look into it. Thank you.

Split flock in half. See what side kept the issue. Split again until you find it. I personally would eat my egg eater.
Oh man! I wish I had the space to do this. I am thinking about putting different colored bands on everyone and buying a camera to figure out who is doing this.
And then yes, she will be soup.
Do you know anything about what kinds of cameras people use?

Back
Top Bottom