Egg eater

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roosterjerry, Mar 31, 2009.

1. roosterjerry

roosterjerry Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Rineyville,KY
    I'm trying to incorporate some new chickens into my flock. I built a new larger coop for all of them. My red hen gets along with the new chickens fine but I have 3 game mutt hens that are being difficult . They even pick on the new rooster.(the only rooster) I only had hens before and wanted a rooster so I could get some chicks. I got 3 Ameraucanas 2 laying hens and a rooster. He is a very sweet roo he was hand raised and will come right to you to be picked up. He is only 4 or 5 months old and I don't think he has figured out he is supposed to be in charge. This morning I went to go check on them and there was one blue egg in a laying box when I went in to get it it had been smashed open and eaten. This is the first time I have seen this. What do you do about this. I am tempted to eat the game mutt hens they are being a big pain in the a..

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I just posted a moment ago-same problem. Just this morning my 1 yr old hens decided to start eating their eggs. Ohh yummy-look what came out of my own butt! [​IMG] Anyway, I emptied an egg, squirted mustard in it put it out there and they ALL (10 hens) immediately ate the blasted thing! Grabbed the egg shell as soon as I realized the experiment was not going to work. Any ideas?

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Collect eggs a couple times a day, add golf balls or wooden eggs to the nest boxes. You can also make a curtains to go around the boxes. Roll away nests is another good idea.
    You can also cull the egg eating hen. I do. It is a bad habbit that they will teach to the other chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by